Hybrid View

Importing Sketchup

I've tried many workarounds and I can't solve this problem.
    Pic 1 shows the stove in the sketchup window with the correct materials applied (textures I imported to sketchup).
    Pic 2 shows two sketchup items imported (refrigerator is correct, stove is not).
    Pic 3 shows house program re-opened, and refrigerator is not correct. Stove is not correct, and looks different from pic 2.

I get something different just about every time I reopen the HDA program. HOW do you make HDA play nice with sketchup, and show textures in a consistant manner?!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic 1.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	13285   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic 2.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	13286   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic 3.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	13288  
    JoAnn

HD Architectural 10
    HD Suite 6 & 7

The stove symbol looks like it needs to have different textures mapped to each surface in order to create the look shown in your first image.

Meaning, the pan storage door should have one material, the door should have another, the sides should have their own materials, etc.

If they are all using the same thing when imported, the texture gets stretched across each of the surfaces differently.

Also, I've observed some SketchUp symbols just aren't created very well, and actually have two surfaces occupying the same space, so sometimes one material (often white) will show through, whereas other times another material comes through.
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

The phenomena Kat mentioned has been discussed at length at Chief Talk, the name the software Architects and Engineers have given that is called "Z" fighting (two 3-D surfaces "fighting" for dominance), where two or more 3-D faces are modeled too close together for a video card to differentiate between so you get a funny looking camera view.

But in terms of your particular problem, Kat's advice is spot on, by changing and or editing the textures assigned to the 3-D faces of the symbol will get you better visual results. Study the Reference Manual sections that address Customizing and Editing materials, practice with what it says and you will then get more consistent results.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

I've faced exactly the same problem. And the problem is absolutely confusing: while the surfaces have the materials I applied in 3D view the object seems to have completely different features. Sometimes it changes on its own the next time I open the plan, and sometimes I have to tackle with it. Most of the times it comes out fine, but if it doesn't I drop it. Maybe this doesn't help, but check the materials tab again and again.
    Home Designer Architectural 2014

All surfaces in SU are two sided. Unless there is a material defined (in SU) for both sides, then you will experience this anomaly. I tend to give solid, vibrant colors whilst in SU (easier to see where I've missed) then apply my final materials in HD. jon
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (331.40)
    3GB VRAM
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, SP1
    Chief Architect Premier X5
    HD Pro 2012
    Adobe CC
    A note pad and #2 pencil

Sketch Up objects are free. Symbols offered by Chief Inc are optimized for use in its software, Sketch Up and other third party symbols may or may not be so optimized, so when you use them and you want performance that you can control, like Jon you will have to take more responsibility for those objects in Sketch Up before import to Chief Inc Software. It is just the way it is.
    Trimble 3-D Warehouse is a great free resource but control over these types of objects must be exercised by you once they are in an environment they were not originally designed to be in.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook