Adjusting heel height on rafters

How do you adjust the heel height on the rafters?

I need to make one corner of the roof heel height taller to match up the roof planes.

Truksttop

Home Designer Professional 2014
    Last edited by Truksttop; 03-22-2013 at 05:16 AM.

That kind of adjustment is resident in the "Build Roof-Roof Tab" dialog. The section you will be most interested is to first un-check "Automatic Bird's mouth Cut". When you do that then the adjustment settings for "raise off plate - birds mouth" and "Birds mouth seat" can be adjusted to suit your purpose. Adjusting the birds mouth cut (raise off plate input) directly affects the rafter heel height adjustment.

The size (thickness or height) of the rafter is set on the "Framing" tab "Rafter" input box.

If I were interested in setting this with exactitude, after building framing, I would check the results using a back-clip elevation camera view and check the results with dimension tools to make sure that the settings I changed affected the exact results intended. After you have done this several times then perhaps the visual check is no longer necessary but I always recommend such visual checks just so you know that the results you intend are actually the results you are getting.

The thing to do is to get your plan just the way you want it. Then make sure all necessary default settings are correct. Then check your "Build Roof" dialog settings, then build roofs AFTER all else is correct because with Roofs, once built they do not automatically respond to changes thereafter unless completely rebuilt. Otherwise all changes and editing to roof planes must be done manually, one roof plane at a time (or by shift-selecting groups of planes) and fine adjustments then applied manually.

The smart way is to just be methodical, get your walls, rooms and dimensions correct in terms of plan view and only then build roofs last. This is not the ONLY way to go but where you can it is the smartest way to proceed.

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 03-22-2013 at 07:26 AM.

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook