"Merging" different wall types.

The plan I am busy with has several wall types, intentionally and relevant to the project, and so obviously a wall of one type will butt on to one of another type. I am getting one type "bleeding" into another rather than a "clean" join" and am unable to drag the bledding wall out of the adjoining one to make a clean meet.

I have spent several hours this morning reading the user manual, the help files etc. but I found nothing on this subject that would tell me why apart from an instruction on another matter to ensure that the "snap object" was switched on.

Here is a screenshot of what I mean. The "bleeding walls" are indicated by the red squares.

Any advice for which my thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strange wall joints.JPG 
Views:	401 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	13358
    Now using Windows 7 Professional 32 bit. RIP Windows XP
    Home Designer 2014 Pro

Hi Keith,
    The connections that you're seeing are caused by how you set up the wall layers, and specifically, which layer you selected to be the Main Layer (see the radio check button left of the layer thicknesses in the wall definition dialog). The software will connect walls together at the main layer. In your example image, it looks like you've defined the thick grey layer as the Main Layer, and all connecting walls connect through the other layers to that one.

In the Wall Specification dialog, on the General Tab, you should see a setting for "Wall Butts Other Walls". This may or may not solve your problem at all locations, but it is worth a try. Otherwise, you may need to rethink on your specific walls and wall types, and try to come up with a definition that better meets your connection requirements (meaning, choosing a more appropriate Main Layer).

Good luck.
    Last edited by Elovia; 04-14-2013 at 07:58 AM.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

Thank you for that. It makes perfect sense and I'll have a look at the various wall specifications in the morning.
    Home Designer 2014 Pro

Well, I've tried all sorts of combinations, even using different colours for the various wall types but still the "bleeding" problem remains. It seems to be a bug and I would have thought that the obviously clever minds who created, work on and maintain the software for Chief Architect could devise a bit of code that would stop walls of different types and specs running into each other and just butt against each other in the normal way.
    Home Designer 2014 Pro

Elovia hit the nail on the head by letting you know this isn't a bug, you control how the walls connect by specifying the Main Layer in the Wall Type Definitions dialog.
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Yeah, I tried that and experimented with various main layers on the walls that have more than one. It seems to be the walls that actually only have one layer that do the "bleeding" into others. For example the fence and the l-shped wall which you see on the screenshot below have been now replaced by a single layer stone wall and I have even used a dark brown colour to depict the wall on the plan but they still do exactly the same thing in exactly the same places. Trying to drag them away to meet where they should doesn't work either. The blighters just spring right back.
    Home Designer 2014 Pro

Instead of "experimenting" you probably want to go ahead and read through what the software's documentation has to say about the Main Layer and how it should be used.

There's also this Help Database article you might want to look over.

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...p?faqNumber=33
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_K View Post
    The plan I am busy with has several wall types, intentionally and relevant to the project, and so obviously a wall of one type will butt on to one of another type. I am getting one type "bleeding" into another rather than a "clean" join" and am unable to drag the bledding wall out of the adjoining one to make a clean meet.

I have spent several hours this morning reading the user manual, the help files etc. but I found nothing on this subject that would tell me why apart from an instruction on another matter to ensure that the "snap object" was switched on.

Here is a screenshot of what I mean. The "bleeding walls" are indicated by the red squares.

Any advice for which my thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strange wall joints.JPG 
Views:	401 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	13358
    Keith, could you open the plan, select the corner (see my screen shot) select either of the walls that make the corner, open the wall specification dialogue, define layers and do a screen shot and post it. I for one have had many issues with similar situations and with others help resolved them all. I haven't yet had the particular one you seem to have encountered, but again; it really isn't a bug. You will see examples of a special wall type I developed for a special situation and the first shows the problem I encountered, the second show the fix. I had to do wall breaks on each side of the adjoining wall and rotate layers to get the offending walls to stop "bleeding" as you call it, into the other side. Practice does make perfect if you have the patients to keep working at it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corner - wall bleeding.JPG 
Views:	253 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	13374   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reversed layers.JPG 
Views:	285 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	13375   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fixed problem with wall break tool.JPG 
Views:	268 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	13376  
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7
    Picture Painter Home & Landscape

Nashville-TN

“ The nicest thing about the future is that it always starts tomorrow”

Quote Originally Posted by Elovia View Post
    In the Wall Specification dialog, on the General Tab, you should see a setting for "Wall Butts Other Walls". This may or may not solve your problem at all locations, but it is worth a try.
    Bilmey! It made my eyes bleed trying to find this thread again.

Elovia, your response quoted above has always been in the back of my mind when I still encounter this "problem" and I go to the wall specification general tab to try and find the setting you recommend. I may be blind or, because I am looking too hard, for the life of me I can't see the setting. Can you post a screenshot of what your wall specifcation general tab looks like because I think being an earlier version of HD Pro it may be different to mine for some reason?
    Home Designer 2014 Pro

See if this You Tube video helps you please:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKqTM_0Cguk

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Lamina
    Pro 2014
    Pro 2012
    Architectural 9