Siding material choice

How do you create siding such as board and batten?

Look in your Library Browser under "Materials -Siding", if you additionally want a fully 3-D board and batten siding look you will have to make battens using the soffit tool and methodically placing them, one by one or by using the Transform-Replicate tool (if you have Home Designer Pro). Most usually, I just use a texture and pattern file without actually placing soffit objects for battens as it is time consuming to do but I have done it on many occasions when necessary.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Using HD Pro 2012. The only category under siding that is remotely close is Vertical Panel, which only gives me 5 colors to choose from, not any structure variations. I read your comments regarding the soffit tool and this seems laborious!

...this seems laborious!
    I agree, it is but is also quite workable. Material textures can be altered (customized), you can make your own texture file in Photoshop if you like and then import it as a new material. In terms of vector views (black and white line renderings sent to layout) I usually use a different pattern file than the default one. Honestly I am not sure if HD Pro can import and use other than the default .pat files. In Chief Premier you have access to infinite .pat files that they offer, you can write your own or import other existing ones from AutoCAD or other CAD programs as well. It really depends upon what is acceptable with you and your purposes what, exactly you do and what you are willing to learn to do and employ.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

It may be laborious, but the process can be made easier through the use of the Transform/Replicate tool to populate the raised area soffits (would that be the boards or the battens?). Even with the T/R tool, many components will need to be custom fit. This detail, like many others, will benefit from the level of effort put into creating it.

Good luck.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

I found a board and batten siding option. Download the CertainTeed 2013 catalog from the HomeDesignerSoftware website. Then, in your library, look under Manufacturer Catalogs - CertainTeed - Sinding - Vinyl Siding Polymer Shakes - Vertical Siding - Board & Batten Single 8". Several color options are available.
    Home Designer Pro 2014

So if you have an older version like I , Pro 10, the only way is to fake it with a texture eg horizontal beadboard or draw them in individually?

Thanks

M.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5