Multiple roof pitch

Hi, Brand new user here and I think I am shot down before I get flying. I have Home Designer Suite 2014. I have drawn my existing ranch floor plan which has a 4/12 roof. The addition which creates an L shape will have a much higher pitch for a cathedral ceiling and a loft. This version seems to only allow one pitch for the whole plan. Is this correct or am I missing something?

You are missing something.

If you go through the Roofs tutorial in your User Guide, it explains this pretty well, and there are a number of online Help Database articles and videos that discuss this . . . However, the short summary is that you set the overall Pitch in the Build Roof dialog (so put in the value of whatever most of your roof planes will be here). Then, on any individual wall, you can open its Specification dialog, go to the Roof tab, and change it from the default pitch to whatever you want for the roof plane that will be bearing directly on that wall.
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Thanks for the quick reply. That is what I thought, but the roof dialog box in the wall specification dialog comes up grey with the general default number in it so I can't change it. I went back to the roof default and tried to set it at 0 so I could change it at the wall dialog but 1/4" is the minimum automatic default number. The user guide shows a lot of options but I do not see the option of changing the pitch of one roof of multiple roofs on the same floor. I think that is why the pitch dialog box come up grey and is not changeable. Please prove me wrong.

Did you check "Full Gable Wall"? Gable walls don't have a roof plane resting on them, so you can't set a pitch for them, and the value will be greyed out.

Article Number 359: How to Automatically Build the Basic Roof Styles
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

You are correct that if I uncheck the full gable wall then I can change the pitch value. One mystery solved. But the roof still stays at the original height. I have a gable roof. Even if I leave it at the default hip roof, if I build the roof at 4" 12" whatever, when I open the wall specification box and click on roofs, I can change the pitch value if the full gable box is not checked, do it for both end walls, but the roof pitch does not change from the original setting. To make it more clear as to what I am trying to do... I have a very simple straight ranch style house. The roof is 4/12. The addition will be at one end at a right angle. (L shaped) The addition will have a much higher pitch to the roof. I do not know how much will look best, that is why I bought this program. I build the roof at 4/12. I select the end walls on the addition changing the roof pitch, but the plan does not change. Both roofs are still 4/12 or whatever the roof is first built at. Build high and try to lower one, or build low and try to raise one, doesn't matter they stay the same. The tutorials show how to change pitch and I can do it, just not on only one roof. I am frustrated.

I'm not sure what you're missing in the instructions (might be time to post some screenshots?), so maybe check out these articles for more examples.

Article Number 1043: How to Create a Cross Gable Roof

Article Number 871: How to Change the Pitch of a Single Roof Plane

Article Number 127: How to Specify Roof Pitches

Last edited by Katalyst777; 05-23-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

I discovered my mistake. I was selecting the two end walls only. Having a gable roof I was thinking the pitch would be set by those two walls only. In fact, the change in pitch has to be done to all four walls. Then it works. I don't find that specifically said in the guides. I am new at the program and it is different than one I had a number of years ago. Thank you for your assistance! I feel better now.