Hybrid View

Add a 2nd Porch to a One & a Half Story House

Hi Again,

I have a nice covered porch running the length of the east/right side of the house, now I need a small entry porch with a gabled roof to the west/left side of the house. Here's the porch without a roof. Notice that the deck on the east/right side of the house is OK.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	West-Porch.jpg 
Views:	467 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	13637

Now I put a roof on the small porch by clicking on Build > Roof > Build Roof
    The new gable roof looks good, BUT the roof over the deck on the east/right side of the house is broken now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	West-Porch-Gable-Roof.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	13638 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broken-Roof-East-Deck.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	13639

Is there a way to keep these two porch/deck roofs from conflicting with each other?

Thanks,
    Hollis

Is there a way to keep these two porch/deck roofs from conflicting with each other?
    If I had only Architectural as you do, I would slightly change the room dialog box ceiling height settings and perhaps roof pitch settings in the porch walls until I got just the outcome I wanted. Try varying those settings and see if you cannot find a workable combination.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Hi David,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried that though and haven't had any luck. The problem seems to be due to the limitations of HD Architectural, so it appears that my only option is to upgrade to HD Pro.

Here's what support told me:
    I also have been unable to recreate the roof you're wanting to create using the automated roof tools in Home Designer Architectural. My recommendation would be to look at upgrading to Home Designer Professional.
    I really didn't want to spend the extra $$$ since I'm only remodeling this one house.

Thanks for you help.
    Hollis

This can be done in your software if you study the user's guide and the reference guide. In your prior thread, (after you created the first porch) you then turned off "auto rebuild roof" and then restored the correct ceiling height? You then created the second porch and "rebuilt" the roof? No,no,no.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cape cod2.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	13643   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cape cod.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	13642  
    JoAnn

HD Architectural 10
    HD Suite 6 & 7

Hi JoAnn,

I'm impressed! You did exactly what I was trying to do in Architectural. Support told me to buy Pro, so I did.

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnn View Post
    This can be done in your software if you study the user's guide and the reference guide. In your prior thread, (after you created the first porch) you then turned off "auto rebuild roof" and then restored the correct ceiling height? You then created the second porch and "rebuilt" the roof? No,no,no.
    No, I didn't restore the ceiling height before creating the 2nd porch. Taking that into account, what should I have done differently?

Thanks,
    Hollis

Another option would be to create a roof 3D model in sketchup to your dimensions and material then import it. I can help create that in Sketchup if you need it.

Hi EpicATrain,

Thanks for that tip!
    I've never used Sketchup. It sounds like I should check it out.

Hollis

I did another scratch plan and followed the steps you said you took (including the 2 tutorials), and I could not replicate your porch roof problem. My roof stayed correct.
    Just for your peace of mind, you should open a quick scratch plan in your architectural program, and follow those tutorials again...just to see if you still get the same porch roof disaster!
    JoAnn

HD Architectural 10
    HD Suite 6 & 7

OK, I'll try it again.

I offer this in the Spirit of Help: there is a vast difference between "Steps Taken" and "Steps taken Successfully", the usual difference is based upon fully understanding the "Steps" and the definitions of all the words that convey those steps. In other words if you fully understand something, you can then do that something and if you are not able to do something, then just more careful study is required so you can.

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 07-31-2013 at 05:18 AM.

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Hi David,

Yes, I understand. I just watched a video of yours on YouTube, "What's wrong with my Dormers?" where walls you put in didn't show up. Obviously, you are so much more familiar with the program you fiddled around with it until you could get the walls to appear. I probably would not have known what to do at that point.

Best wishes,
    Hollis