Hybrid View

Split Level Roof Gap

Hello,
    I am using Home Designer Suite 2014 - I'm a new user and don't know how to get rid of a vexing gap on a split level roof. I am working up a plan of an existing home we are considering buying and remodeling. We have the old blue prints, and specifically I am struggling with how to create the split level roof to match the existing design. The attached West Elevation shows the split levels. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6577 - West Elevation.jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	13761

While the roof pitches are the same on both levels and on both sides of the ridge-line (4:12), the walls are at different heights (south wall slightly taller). I am not sure how to get the walls taller on the one side, but I suspect I need to make the ceiling heights taller on the south side rooms. (confirmation)

I experimented around trying to create a simplified test version of a split level roof, and wound up with a gap that I can't explain or get rid of. See the attached Floor Plan, with Camera 3 and Camera 6. The Camera 3 view shows the floor and walls inside through the gap. I created the split by creating an invisible wall down the middle, and defining the room on one side as 40" higher. Then for that invisible wall, I set the Wall Specification - Roof - Roof Options to "Full Gable Wall". That eliminated the roof hip that was automatically created, but it left the gap that you can see through. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test Roof - Camera 3.jpg 
Views:	1024 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	13759Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test Roof - Camera 6.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	13760

What am I doing wrong?

You are correct, wall heights are governed by ceiling heights of the rooms. so to adjust one side to be higher than the other, the rooms will need to have higher ceilings on one side than the other.

Since you used an invisible wall to separate the two areas the gap between the two roof planes is most likely filled with an invisible wall or nothing at all.

are both rooms in your plan supposed to be vaulted? or will they have a flat ceiling with attic space?
    If there is attic space on either side of the gap you could draw a manual attic wall in that area to fill the gap.

In Home Designer Pro there is a setting called "Roof Cuts Wall at Bottom" which will allow you to draw a wall that can be cut at the bottom by a roof plane instead of the top. but I don't think Suite has that feature.
    Lamina
    Pro 2014
    Pro 2012
    Architectural 9

Just fill it in using a Soffit.