Problem Rendering With Shadows Once Plan Became "Detailed"

Hi,

Our brand new computer with an excellent video card, etc. (meets or exceeds all of the upper-end recommendations for system components) is having difficulties rendering with shadows. This was not the case with the subject plan, prior to our making it more detailed. By "more detailed," I mean that the file becoming considerably larger as I added various objects, such as a number of various 3D Sketchup symbols and VERY large billboards outside the windows, for example.

After adding these details, we successfully performed a number of "final" 3D walkthroughs with shadows turned off, but with all other 3D settings adjusted according to the online help information. (We turned off shadows because the final walkthroughs were taking so long with shadows on.)

Next, after returning our 3D settings to normal, we decided to do some stills with shadowing (as I mentioned, this worked fine with the plan while it was yet "undetailed" with Sketchup symbols, etc.). Now, these do not render properly. Initially we found that they would usually not even complete, with our computer getting hung up (ESC does not bring it out of it, so I have to force the program closed with Task Manager). On at least one other attempt, the rendering came out with streaks across it (albeit with some shadowing). After talking with Kirk at your Help Desk, we set our Display Options to disable display of fixtures, which turned off most all of the Sketchup symbols in the scene, with the exception of the pitcher on the counter. However, as you can see, the scene has strange streaks across it (as we'd seen earlier on the render with shadows that did manage to complete).

One other note is that we are able to quite successfully (takes reasonable amount of time and looks good) do final rendering with shadows within a "sample" plan in the program.

I have a completely backed-up plan that I can share, if desired. I'd appreciate any advice you can offer. Thank you in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Streaked Final w Shadows.JPG 
Views:	251 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	13048  
    Home Designer Pro 10.4.3.5 (Hope to upgrade soon to Chief Architect)

Intel Core i7-03630QM CPU @ 2.4 GHz
    12 G RAM
    Windows 8, 64-bit OS
    GeForce GTX 660M Video Card with 2GB dedicated memory

Try importing your SketchUp symbols in to a new, empty plan and do a Full Overview, you should be able to see on the Status Bar how many surfaces they are rendering. Try with a comparable Home Designer symbol to give you an idea of how complex those SketchUp models are. Add a lot of high surface symbols and you'll probably run in to the limits of your video card pretty quick.

Sounds like you already contacted the company's Support folks directly for help on the phone, which will be your best resource for something like this, but maybe send them the plan in via the Online Support Center as well for them to take a look at it.
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

If you like, send me a copy of your plan, as is and I can then evaluate it in Chief Premier and give you exact "face counts" of your imported symbols.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Thank you, Kat! You are always so quick to be helpful. I appreciate it. I do believe that the number of surfaces on one or more of the Sketchup items may be the culprit. The folks at the Help Desk recommended that we try doing the final renderings with shadows after emptying out the items in all but the room we are rendering.

Thanks Again,

Julie

12 G RAM
    Windows 8, 64-bit OS

Thank you, too, David. I have a full backup of the plan, but it is 72MB, even zipped. As far as I know, this precludes me from sharing it with you via this forum as an attachment. Is there an alternative way to share it with you?
    Julie

12 G RAM
    Windows 8, 64-bit OS

Hi Again! Well, when rendering with shadows, I am yet again experiencing the "streaking" problem in another plan. And this time, the plan contains NO imported Sketchup symbols (the factor to which this problem was attributed by the Help Desk last time it occurred). As you can see from my sig line, my computer hardware should be up to the task. This is not a complicated plan. I am very disappointed and frustrated, to say the least. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

12 G RAM
    Windows 8, 64-bit OS

Streaking problem...Here's What It Looks Like

By the way, here is a thumbnail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thumbnail Image for HomeTalk.JPG 
Views:	199 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	13764  

12 G RAM
    Windows 8, 64-bit OS

sending in the plan and a picture of what you see to tech support is still your best option with these types of problems.
    Lamina
    Pro 2014
    Pro 2012
    Architectural 9