Threaded View

Problem Rendering With Shadows Once Plan Became "Detailed"

Hi,

Our brand new computer with an excellent video card, etc. (meets or exceeds all of the upper-end recommendations for system components) is having difficulties rendering with shadows. This was not the case with the subject plan, prior to our making it more detailed. By "more detailed," I mean that the file becoming considerably larger as I added various objects, such as a number of various 3D Sketchup symbols and VERY large billboards outside the windows, for example.

After adding these details, we successfully performed a number of "final" 3D walkthroughs with shadows turned off, but with all other 3D settings adjusted according to the online help information. (We turned off shadows because the final walkthroughs were taking so long with shadows on.)

Next, after returning our 3D settings to normal, we decided to do some stills with shadowing (as I mentioned, this worked fine with the plan while it was yet "undetailed" with Sketchup symbols, etc.). Now, these do not render properly. Initially we found that they would usually not even complete, with our computer getting hung up (ESC does not bring it out of it, so I have to force the program closed with Task Manager). On at least one other attempt, the rendering came out with streaks across it (albeit with some shadowing). After talking with Kirk at your Help Desk, we set our Display Options to disable display of fixtures, which turned off most all of the Sketchup symbols in the scene, with the exception of the pitcher on the counter. However, as you can see, the scene has strange streaks across it (as we'd seen earlier on the render with shadows that did manage to complete).

One other note is that we are able to quite successfully (takes reasonable amount of time and looks good) do final rendering with shadows within a "sample" plan in the program.

I have a completely backed-up plan that I can share, if desired. I'd appreciate any advice you can offer. Thank you in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Streaked Final w Shadows.JPG 
Views:	252 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	13048  
    Home Designer Pro 10.4.3.5 (Hope to upgrade soon to Chief Architect)

Intel Core i7-03630QM CPU @ 2.4 GHz
    12 G RAM
    Windows 8, 64-bit OS
    GeForce GTX 660M Video Card with 2GB dedicated memory