Earth Sheltered Home

Is there a way to create an earth sheltered home using this software? I would like to cover the roof with several feet of earth and leave only one or two walls exposed. I'm currently using Home Designer Suite 2014. Any help is welcome!
    Dustin

Terrain was added as a feature around the turn of the century, so you basically set the terrain as an object to the house model (the majority of the first floor-floor level is always "zero inches" and so you set the terrain to the house model as opposed to otherwise).

Study the reference manual sections that introduce terrain and terrain tools, then practice what you learned on a simple model to get the feel for how to control outcomes.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

I was only able to get the terrain to flow over the roof of the house by applying the terrain to the level above the house; however, it also flows through the house. It seems the software is not able to make a earth sheltered home design.

Creating a realistic ground around the house has also been difficult for me.
    Anyway, here's an idea if you can't make the terrain the way you want it: add wedges from the shapes catalogue. Play with the dimensions until they fit. Maybe it won't be as realistic as with a distorted terrain but you will be able to get a picture. I've done it with a simple hilly garden and it worked for me.
    Home Designer Architectural 2014

The main terrain tool you will need is the "Terrain Break" tool that allows you to make abrupt topographic changes in terrain. Check it out - see what it does.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Thanks Arthur!

You're welcome!
    Home Designer Architectural 2014

I realize this topic is nearly a month old but the thread intrigued me. I had been approached many years back to design a Earth Home.

One question comes to mind after thinking about it. What did you set the skirt thickness to? I believe that the terrain could be modeled to flow around and over the home without cutting through it. Like any of this, it sometimes takes a little ingenuity but most tasks can be accomplished!

This is very interesting and something I will play with more. Look back here for further info as I experiment more.
    Never Give Up!

RT Jones
    Semi-Retired Designer / Eng