Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Faux Wood Blinds

I'm looking to add faux wood blinds (2" like here: http://www.selectblinds.com/fauxwood...od-blinds.html ) to my house's windows. Pretty much all new houses in this area have them. I find the mini-blinds in HD Architectural, and other fabric styles, but nothing like this. Mini-blinds are much shallower and closer together, typically 1" or less.

Am I missing them, or is there a way to convert mini-blinds? Or download them?

Depending upon which title and version you have you might be able to import them by way of Trimble 3D warehouse, what do you have?

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

As mentioned above, HD Architectural.

So, I guess there are no regular blinds in the HD library?

Were I you, I would carefully look first as opposed to asking someone else (I could be wrong), there is additional content you can download from the Home Designer Website and there are countless objects you can download and import into Architectural by way of Trimble 3D Warehouse. Asking others is not knowing for yourself which you should always do first.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

I have downloaded all of the downloadable content included with/for the program, and I have also downloaded all of the Bonus & Manufacturer's libraries that I thought I would have use for, and have spent a LOT of time going through those libraries, trying various items, and tried to make my own modifiable blinds by copying existing blinds to my user items (but seems they can't be modified). I have also searched these forums for other threads concerning blinds that might work in this case. I've also searched through the various videos, on HD's website as well as your own, for help in this area.

If there are blinds similar to what I'm looking for, then I have definitely missed them, but not due to lack of trying. Thus, the question posted here. If my efforts are not sufficient to allow me to post, then I apologize and humbly ask where these items are that I should have already found.

In the meantime, I have experimented more with the mini-blinds included with the program, which work pretty funny. Some, like the 12" size, just stay at 12" height. Others, like the 36" size, seem to scale themselves to the window. I have found that scaling 30" blinds to my 72" high windows doesn't look that bad from the side, even though they aren't 2" blinds, and will work well enough for me.

You may have already tries these, if not; here is the site: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...=Search&reps=3
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7
    Picture Painter Home & Landscape

Nashville-TN

“ The nicest thing about the future is that it always starts tomorrow”

Quote Originally Posted by BB boy View Post
    You may have already tries these, if not; here is the site: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...=Search&reps=3
    No, I don't. Thank you very much! So, all sketchup models can be used in Home Designer? Trimble was mentioned, but I didn't know where or what it was.

I hate to ask, but I downloaded the Horizontal, Wooden Window Blinds 4'x4' from the link you mentioned, hoping I could paint them white. I opened the downloaded file with Home Designer Architectural, but I'm having trouble locating them. I downloaded again, and then Imported them into HDA, and it asked if I wanted to replace the cherry jpg, so I know they're in there. But I've checked with the other blinds, and the User Catalog, and Manufacturer Catalog, and Core Catalogs, and can't find them. I've searched for the wording of the file ("WindowBlinds"...) and the description (Horizontal, "Wooden"...) and Search doesn't find them.

Any suggestions on finding them? I'm sure it just places them in a new location I'm missing.

I created a file on my "screen" called it SKP. I down load all my sketch up files to it. You should be able to do the same; then if you open your plan you wish the blinds in, you should be able to open the skp files, find the file for the "blinds" then simply drag it into you plan. Once there you should be able to select / drag it where you want it. Maybe this will help.
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7
    Picture Painter Home & Landscape

Nashville-TN

“ The nicest thing about the future is that it always starts tomorrow”

I created a file on my "screen" called it SKP. I down load all my sketch up files to it. You should be able to do the same; then if you open your plan you wish the blinds in, you should be able to open the skp files, find the file for the "blinds" then simply drag it into you plan. Once there you should be able to select / drag it where you want it. Maybe this will help.
    I've saved the file where I can find it. But I can only OPEN *.plan and *.pl1 files. I can IMPORT the file, which I have, but then it doesn't seem to appear anywhere. That I've been able to find, at least. I'm using Home Designer Architectural; perhaps HD Pro has a different OPEN ability?

And another thread has a happy ending.

It just goes to show how worthwhile "Home Talk" is to those of us who aren't as proficient as others make themselves out to be and who will thus sometimes encounter a problem for which they need advice and that solutions can be achieved without resorting to santimonious comment.
    Now using Windows 7 Professional 32 bit. RIP Windows XP
    Home Designer 2014 Pro

After a quick search of Home Designer's help system on importing objects, I found that no version of HD can import 3rd party models (like Sketchup models) except Pro. Bummer. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by rraisley View Post
    After a quick search of Home Designer's help system on importing objects, I found that no version of HD can import 3rd party models (like Sketchup models) except Pro. Bummer. :-(
    Not true.
    I also have HD Arch 2014 and have imported several sketchup objects. Like BB Boy mentioned above... Once you've downloaded the SKP file to your computer, go to File | Import in HD (I'm not at home now so I don't know the exact menu items). One of the options will be to import .SKP files. Once you locate and select the object, your cursor will change to something that looks like a sink - that means that all you have to do to use the object is to put the mouse where you want it to go, then click. I'm very new to HD and I haven't found a way to search the library for imported sketchup objects, but importing them directly into your model works just fine.

Fantastic. Thanks, TallGuyNW! That worked great! I was just going to ask why the heck the Import function is there, if they can't be imported, but that makes a lot of sense. My guess is that only Pro allows them to be added to the Library, but this works just fine. Thanks again! :-)

You're welcome