Layout Plans to PrintShop

I've sent my drawings to a printshop two ways, and still don't feel I have it right.

1st submission: I sent my drawings to PDF after toggling off all the color. The font size was 8 in Chief Blueprint. The builders complained that the dimensions were too large, and there was not shading in the walls so that it was difficult to deciper the walls from the dimension lines.

2nd submission: I sent my drawings to PDF with color on and then sent it to the printer in grayscale. The font size was 4 in Minion Pro. The builders said that now the font size was too small, and while the shading in the walls looked great, any color that was not originally black did not show up clear enough on the construction drawings, ie. area sq. footage in blue is unreadable.

I now need to resend these to the printer, but would like your advice on the font, size, and how to set up the plan to print to address the issues I have outlined here. The home has a width og 66' x 83' depth.

Thank you,
    Lisa
    HD Pro 2014

Lisa, I always set font size by the builder or building authority (what they want), advice from third parties who will not use your drawings would not be very helpful. The drawings are the communication of your ideas and plans, you make sure it is clear and concise before printing is my best advice.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Thank you David. Most builders in the area I am building in are use to no more than 3 pages for building a home, they are very relaxed and laid back. They have left it up to me. I agree with your statement, "you make sure it is clear and concise before printing is my best advice."

So I am open to more feedback from others as to what they have discovered works for them, before I go to printing for the 3rd time.

Thanks to all.

Lisa

Lisa, in my HUMBLE opinion, since 8 is too large and 4 is too small, I'd try the middle road 6. As David said, working with your "Local" builders (and code people if you are seeking a building permit) etc., you are trying to please them, so experimentation is probably the only "teacher" in this case. One thing you might do, is set one sheet, print it (or have it printed) then see if the builder(s) is satisfied, before spending more time/money? on it. Just a thought.
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7
    Picture Painter Home & Landscape

Nashville-TN

“ The nicest thing about the future is that it always starts tomorrow”

Thank you BB Boy. There are no building permits in my area. So I'll try 6. Google research suggested "Graphite" for font style, but I don't see that as an option in HD Pro 2014. Is anyone else having problems reading the text when sent to "grayscale", or are some of you sending your drawings to the printer in color?

The shading is the other issue in the walls. So far sending the drawings to the printer in black and white does not "fill in" the 2 x 6 and 2 x4 areas on the plan, and this is what they want to have printed with better definition.

-Lisa

-Lisa