Is a Quad Core i5 with 4GB ram laptop sufficient enough to run HD Pro?

Is a Quad Core i5 with 4GB ram laptop sufficient enough to run HD Pro?

specifically the 3D CAD views, etc...which are processor intensive.

Any of you out there running HD Pro on an i5? How about an i3?

Again, I know you can design basic floor plans on an even lesser machine but trying to run CAD views tanks on lesser machines. Not sure what the threshold is and looking for others to chime in on their experiences with their own machines.

CPU speed is NOT the most important factor, the video hardware IS. If your laptop has "integrated" video support built into the mother board instead of a separate video card you may experience poor performance.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Yeah I figured someone would chime in with that, and I agree.

Looking to buy a laptop, that will run HD Pro when I'm on the road (my present one will not, but it's 6 years old) but I'd still like to hear other people's experiences with laptops, again, specifically 3D CAD view.

I'm using an HP Envy with an i5 2.67 GHz chip and 4 meg of RAM (but I'm on HD Pro '12) and it works great, no performance problems at all.

Of course, a larger monitor would be nice...

Look at the Asus G75 ROG Gaming laptops. They are designed with the kind of features HomePro uses. Many models to better accomodate your budget. I saved a bundle by purchssing mine without the SSD drive and less memory. Afterwards I bought a Corsair 240 SSD drive and raised the memory to 16 GBS from 12 for nearly $600.00 less than it would have cost to purchase the same machine with those features included.

I just upgraded my laptop to an MSi with an i5-4200 processor, 8GB of RAM and a dedicated Nvidia GeForce 740M/2GB DDR3 GPU. HD Pro 2014 is amazingly fast at rendering 3D views now with no stuttering as I spin the model, zoom in, change floors in dollhouse view, etc. My latest file is nearly 23KB in size and has no problem rendering with a fully furnished house, 100 plants and a lot of terrain features & elevation changes. The only problem I'm having now is that the rendering wants to leave out my terrain breaks and retaining walls due to the complexity of my lot.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terrain Rendering.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	13908 I may start eliminating elements from inside the house so I can complete my garden plans. But to the point, I'm convinced that the dedicated video card was what made the renderings perform so flawlessly on my i5 laptop.