Front Porch Roof Issue (when porch does not run full length of house)

Leveraging some of the good information posted in this forum, I accomplished getting a porch to look like I wanted it to (see the first attached image). My issue is when I reduce the length of the porch to anything less than the length of the house, Home Designer Suite 2014 is creating a split in the roof (see the second attached image with the orange arrow). Is there a way to manipulate the design as to not have the roof be split? I basically just want the porch to extend out from the slope of the main roof (the third image is a mock-up).

Thank you for any help or suggestions. I am fairly new to this software and am still learning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Porch1.jpg 
Views:	1482 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	14142Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Porch2.jpg 
Views:	627 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	14143Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DesiredPorchRoof.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	14144

It looks like (from you posted images) that the reason you are getting a split roof is that the ceiling height of the porch is higher than the ceiling height of the interior house (check for that please). Incorrect settings always result in incorrect results.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

The ceiling heights are set to the same value for the house and for the porch (both are set at the default of 109 1/8"). It does appear to be something with the ceiling height though. If I drop the ceiling height of the porch to 91", it kind of corrects the issue, but does not leave the exact design I was looking for regarding the porch (the ceiling would be very low). It seems to want to bump up the ceiling height behind the porch for some reason (but still shows the default setting).

Name:	Porch3.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	14145

I figured it out. When the porch spans the entire length of the house, to enable a gullwing roof style, in the roof specifications for the front railing you set the upper and lower pitch values separately (for instance set the upper to 12 to match the pitch of the roof and the lower to 3 to enable the gullwing effect). That works when the length of the porch spans the entire length of the house. When it is less, you need to modify those settings (again for the front railing roof). In the attached picture, I changed the settings by un-checking the box next to the upper pitch and setting the lower pitch to 3.

Now I just need to figure out why the siding is not correctly displaying in the upper corner (second picture).

Name:	PorchCorrect.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	14150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Porch Missing Siding.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	14151

it looks like the transition of the porch roof to the main roof is located beyond the front wall. so it isn't creating an attic wall in that space automatically. you should be able to manually extend the attic wall that is generating for the gable side of the porch into the main structure space.
    Lamina
    Pro 2014
    Pro 2012
    Architectural 9

It is creating an attic wall, but the it creates actually extends in through the main roof. Interesting though, if I change the pitch of the main roof to 8/12 (the pitch of the roof over the porch is set to 3/12), it actually is more pronounced (see the first attached photo). Very strange is what happens if I select that wall in the 3D view. Notice the odd triangular shapes that get selected (and that the part that is just showing the wood surface is ignored in the selection).

Name:	Porch Missing Siding.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	14154Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Porch Missing Siding 2.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	14155