Best Way to do Elevation Dimensions?

The dimensioning tools in Elevation views don't seem to work well for me. They don't want to snap where I want them. The workarounds I have tried:

1) Draw CAD lines where needed and dimension between them (cumbersome and hard to be accurate)
    2) Export dxf, import into Autocad and use Autocad for final drawings (hate to use a separate program)
    3) Export dxf, import same dxf back into CA and dimension in CA (This emulates the Premier "convert to CAD lines" option)

I'm sure there is a better way, any suggestions?
    Last edited by Miranda; 01-19-2014 at 08:43 AM.
    Chief Architect Home Designer Pro
    Skill Level - Know just enough to be Dangerous

I will often use a CAD line or markers from where I want the measurement points to be. Then I will use "Rich Text" and write the dimension that it needs to be. Then use a CAD "line with arrow" on either side of the text to replicate a dimension line. I find it is hard to get the dimensions exactly as you want otherwise.

I use Text-markers as well as simple CAD lines for elevation dimensions, you can also use the point to point dimension tool that creates its own dimension points as you draw.

Home Designer - Chief Architect software is natively 3D just as AutoCAD is natively 2D, many users of AutoCAD still use it for elevations and construction document annotating (I never have but I never used AutoCAD either so I do not Know what I was missing).

In terms of exporting to AutoCAD, well, that is a personal preference as opposed to otherwise, it is a matter of what you are comfortable/familiar with, Make sure your "Dimension Defaults - Locate Objects" are properly set as to "Locate Objects" (what is easily dimensioned or not), it saves a lot of "clicks" if properly set first.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Thanks for the tips!
    Chief Architect Home Designer Pro
    Skill Level - Know just enough to be Dangerous