Newb question about dimensions and exporting.

Hello,

I just bought the Home Designer Suite 2014 program a few weeks ago and made my first layout of a house. I am now ready to export it into a PDF or some kind of useable print i can send around to wholesalers for material quotes. I have two questions:

1) on the topo layout of each floor i can easily get all dimensions to show up. But when i try to get an elevation of each side i absolutely cannot get all outside dimensions to display. Am i missing something extremely simple?

2) What is the best way to export? Export a DFX file and then convert it or is the straight PDF export out the program just as high of resolution?

Thanks!

Jonah

In question #1 above you use the word "topo" (normally is short for topographical) but I am not sure that is what you mean (one does not have, normally a topographical layout for each floor), so I do not understand the question as written.

2) What is the best way to export?
    I suppose you mean "best way to share", I use scaled PDF files 99% of the time, dxf files I only use if the client asks for them as I consider them less useful unless the other person has-uses AutoCAD or some other 2D CAD program and it might save them time to redraw what I have already drawn. PDF files can be opened, read and printed to scale by 99.9 % of PC's and Mac's as well as print services, dxf files are not near as useful or supported.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

My mistake. I was referring to the overhead view ( looking down) on each floor. When i am in that view i can easily get all dimensions of windows, walls etc displayed. What i can't do is get the dimensions to display for an elevation or side shot of all four walls of the house. I need these dimensions so that the supplier will know the height of each floor, where the windows sit in the wall off of the floor etc.

Thanks,

Jonah