Locking walls, Remodelling

Howdy (first post) -

This thread came close, Defining Wall Placement, but didn't exactly, completely answer my question.

I am remodeling a house. I want to be able to draw a plan with certain walls LOCKED, i.e., they cannot be moved. As it now is, I can define everything precisely as accurately as need by, but when I go do virtually demolish and rebuild, I find (to my frustration) that certain dimensions I counted on to stay fixed have changed during the remodel process.

Thanks ahead,

Ingalls
    Home Designer Architectural 2014

Sorry, not possible in any version or title of Chief Architect Inc software, I have been using this software since 1994 mainly for remodeling projects. What I have found successful is to make a relationally correct "as-built" model of the existing structure. Then make a "save-as" copy for developing the addition or remodeling version.

Then you can indicate in the as-built walls to be demolished and other demo notes and additions, then show the finished project in the second model.

The reason is that the software is programmed on the basis that any plan file is a "new" file when building roofs and other auto-changes. Part of learning to efficiently use the software is based upon how it is programmed to work, trying to insist that it should be programmed differently (especially when one is not a programmer, software Architect or Engineer) is just counter productive. It is better to use a tool as it was designed to be used as opposed to spending time in denial.

I understand how you feel, but it is counter productive to revolt against reality.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

DJP,

Thanks. I understand how not to fight "The Law"... I was just wondering if there was a way. As with any software tool, there are lots of deep intricacies built into HDA that I haven't plumbed yet.

mwi