Thread: Wall height

Wall height

If a standard wall height is 8 ft (96"), why is the default wall height 109 1/8?

As an end-user like you, I have wondered as well but on the other hand, I wonder "is it important?" I earlier versions they had the height set out of the box at 8', now it is 9'. You can change it as you desire. Only rarely do Chief Architect Inc employees answer questions here and that is a question for one of them.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Yeah, what Hawk said! And why is there nowhere in the Walls Default Settings to change the wall height? And why do I have to go to the Floor Default Settings to change that wall height? It's geek think, that's why. It's the same reason you have to hit the Start button to stop Windows. It's an outrage!

It's an outrage!
    true words
    dunno why it is as it is ?
    anyone ...

Yeah, what Hawk said! And why is there nowhere in the Walls Default Settings to change the wall height?
    You change the wall height in "Default Settings - Floor - Structure Tab - Ceiling Height" and also for a single Room Specification Dialog - Structure Tab - Ceiling Height input box.

In Home Designer Pro you can manually set a wall's height by manual manipulation of the wall's Poly-Line in camera views. Chief Architect Inc is not responsible for your fixed ideas as to how it should work as opposed to how it does work. Part of new users learning the software is finding out how it is programmed to work as opposed to individual ideas about how it should work.

You will get more done by studying the Reference Manual followed by practice on what you studied as opposed to airing your lack of doing so here in this forum. Find out for yourself how it works before complaining about how it is not designed to work or start your own software company and program your software right.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver

Whoa, did somebody get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning (and at 3:37AM no less)? Hey, I’m just trying to pump a little life into this place. It’s like a morgue around here. I think the original poster raised a legitimate question. Of course we all have to adapt to the idiosyncrasies of the software. That is a given with all applications. That doesn’t mean that we can’t voice our displeasures or concerns with how the software functions. It seems to me that over time you may have lost sight of exactly what a forum is.

forum (ˈfɔːrəm)

— n , pl -rums , -ra
    1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
    2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
    3. a public meeting place for open discussion

If the response to every question is “go back and study some more” then what is the point of having a forum?

David, I can appreciate the many years you have invested in becoming a skilled user of the software and you couldn’t pay me enough to perform the valuable service you provide here on a daily basis. That being said, do we really have to have a 20+ year learning curve to be proficient with the software? Perhaps if default settings reflected values that are actually used in the real world and were located in logical locations it wouldn’t take so long to become productive. You help make my point by noting that wall height can be adjusted in several locations. Why on earth would the “Walls” Default Settings not be one of them?

As for you suggestions for future career paths, I have done quite nicely pursuing less speculative ventures than software design, thank you, which is why I can afford the luxury of owning high end software and have the time to participate in discussions such as this.

Rich, I always say what I think. I am not directly responsible how others evaluate, accept or reject my frankness (it is what it is).

I do not know you or anyone else here, so it cannot be "personal".

I shared with you how I feel and what I think.

I have nothing further to add. You can set ceiling heights however you like and you are welcome to say and think whatever you like as I can.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Potter View Post
    ....I do not know you or anyone else here.... DJP
    Really? I've always wanted to check out the Austin scene. Since we already know what each other looks like maybe I'll swing by and look you up one of these days. We could go out and throw down a couple of brews, or split a pint of Jack, or squish down a couple of fat ones, whatever suits the vibe.

I still haven't been able to understand why is that..? I guess someone would might explain that.

Quote Originally Posted by rylees View Post
    I still haven't been able to understand why is that..? I guess someone would might explain that.
    You heard the man. In the idiom of the day, "it is what it is", and unless you're ready to move to Coeur d'Alene and start writing code, you can like it or lump it.

If you go to any lumber yard and order 4-8' studs, take them home. place one horizontal, then another perpendicular to that horizontal one, then add two more horizontal studs on top, then measure the distance from the bottom to the top, within a reasonable tolerance that distance will measure 97 1/8" (Structural Ceiling Height). You then add a floor and ceiling covering thickness (carpet-carpet pad on the floor and sheet rock on the ceiling) then you end up with a "Finished Ceiling Height" of around 96".

If you buy 9' studs, you end up with a structural ceiling height of 109 1/8" +-, 10' studs=121 1/8" +- etc.

I may have misunderstood the intent of your original question as to "why" and if so please accept the above a a technical answer. In terms of whether they choose 8', 9' or 10' as the "Default" setting is what I was referring to as their arbitrary decision to make.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter