Question about a small room inside a bigger one.

The title of this post is probably unclear... Sorry.

I am using Home Designer Suite 2014 to design a small winery for our property. The building is composed of three sections:

• The winery measuring 30’ x 35’ with a 12’ foot ceiling height
    • The wine shop on its first floor (12’ high), contained inside an octagonal building 10 foot on each side, and office spaces upstairs that have an 8’ foot ceiling.
    • The connector between the two structures which has an 8’ ceiling height.

All of that works fine (excellent program BTW).

My problem occurs when I try to create an 8’ high WC inside the winery building. I want it to have 2x6 walls supporting a small floor above the WC that would be open to the winery, and where we can store a pallet that can be accessed with the forklift.

When I try to create the space, the program creates the ceiling at the correct height, but then encloses it (see the attached framing detail). How do I prevent that?

With thanks,
    Denys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	problem.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	14268  

By WC I assume you mean "Water Closet"?

How do I prevent that?
    You either want a ceiling which means ceiling framing or you do not want a ceiling (no framing). I am not sure what you want or not want so far. Can you clarify please?

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architectฎ Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Potter View Post
    By WC I assume you mean "Water Closet"?

You either want a ceiling which means ceiling framing or you do not want a ceiling (no framing). I am not sure what you want or not want so far. Can you clarify please?

DJP
    Yes, WC is a water closet. It contains a toilet and sink. It would seem that for the ceiling of the WC to be able to support a pallet, the use of 2x6 and OSB would be required. This is something the program is showing correctly. The problem lies with the walls that it insists on placing around the upper part as can be seen in the picture that I posted along with my question. How does one go about not having the program add walls above? They clearly show up when I look at the second floor plan, but reappear instantly when deleted.

Thank you for your time.

D.

I believe the walls you are trying to delete are attic walls (they just rebuild).

Is this what you are trying to do?
    If so, did you build a 2nd floor room over the WC (with a very low ceiling)?? When you have done that, you can make the 2nd floor walls invisible, and you will get this result.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	interior room.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	14269  
    JoAnn

HD Architectural 10
    HD Suite 6 & 7

Hi JoAnn,

Thank you for your reply. I will look into it tomorrow morning. I do suspect that there is something that is escaping me.

I'll post back tomorrow.
    Denys