full height corner cabinet with different depths

Hi,
    I am planning some cabinetry and I need to use a full height l shaped corner cabinet with onside 97 cm length and the other side 107 cm length. the depth of the cabinetry on one wall is 50cm and the depth on the other wall is 40 cm so i need to draw a cabinet that reflects the different depths. I am using home designer pro. I tried creating a blind corner using base cabinets without the counter settings set to 0 and the height at 2260 cm. when I start with the two base cabinets the software automatically creates a blind corner and adjusts the doors and drawers appropriately, but at some point when I am changing the settings to full height cabinets without the counter and with a single full length door the software changes it back to two separate cabinets and i can see the second door of the wider cabinet peeking out from the corner.
    I hope someone understands this post and can help guide me. ultimately I need to make a full height L- shaped corner cabinet with 97cm length on one side (door that shows should be 57 cm and the blind part should be 40 cm depth of cabinet should be 50 cm) and 107 cm on the other side (blind part should be 50 cm and door that shows should be 57 cm depth of cabinet should be 40)

Thanks for your help,
    Rivka

sorry typo on the first line:
    full height L-shaped corner cabinet with one side

Got a photo or sketch of an existing one that you could share? I am not a metric person and I am also having trouble visualizing what you want. If I could visualize what you are talking about, I am sure I could help.

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 02-09-2014 at 02:57 AM.

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Do you need your cabinet to look anything like this?

DJP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cornercab.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	14298  

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver

im not sure I did it right, but i tried to attach a pdf drawing from autocad of the shape of the cabinet that i am trying to configure
    Attached Files Attached Files

I need the doors to be on the front, I have more cabinetry where the doors are in your drawing.

In my drawing that is attached, I need the doors to be on the 57 cm sides

Here is a short You Tube video of my second attempt at your corner cabinet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM5xj...ature=youtu.be

There is apparent depth and there is actual depth, no one will ever "live" in a virtual house so often times apparent is adequate.

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 02-09-2014 at 11:32 AM.

David Jefferson Potter

Thank you,
    I did know how to do what you did in your video. However, I have two problems
    1. the depth of both of those cabinets are 60 cm. I need to change the depths to be different depths (50cm on one side and 40cm on the other) I could do that if I build the cabinet the way that you did because each cabinet is a separate unit. which lead me to my next problem
    2. I am drawing these plans, not just for the client to visualize, but for the carpenter as well. I wanted the plans to indicate that the corner cabinet is one unit as opposed to two separate units with a dead corner in between them. when I construct the unit the way that you did using home designer pro, it will appear to the carpenter that I want two separate units put together with a dead corner in the corner (between them.) while I could always annotate my plans to express that I want it to be one unit, I was trying to figure out how to get home designer pro to present the cabinet as such.

another thing i am trying to figure out is how to get home designer pro to present the interior of the cabinets so that I can give the carpenter exact instructions regarding the height between shelves, and I also wanted to be able to put some pull out shelves in these units, can I do that with HDP? or do I need to use text to point out a pull out shelf?

I really don't know if HDP has the capability to provide detailed cabinet construction plans as I haven't had the need to explore that area of the software. Perhaps David can tell you that. My first thought would be to use HDP to present the concept and then create a detailed cabinet construction plan with AutoCAD for the carpenter to use.

passing the buck to Mr. David .. where is he as have not appeared yet ?

I have answered his question, he is, I suppose, not happy with the answer and implications. The software does what it does and is what it is and not what we or others might hope it is.

For twenty years I have supported my family with the software as it is, using text, dimension tools and 2D CAD overlays to communicate to other building professionals with nothing but success.

Part of learning this software is learning what it will do, natively and what it is not designed to do, There are expensive, specialized software programs made specifically for cabinet construction drawings ("20-20" for example). Like I said, I have never needed them,I design 20 plus custom kitchens a year, all are built and the clients happy.

In my own experience, I make sure I work with competent professionals who know their trades and business. In other words, I work with people who do not need to be micro-managed, good carpenters know how to carpenter, plumbers are state licensed and know how to plumb. My job as a designer-draftsperson is to communicate graphically what the client wants to other competent building professionals. I have never found any Home Designer or Chief Architect Inc software program incapable of that job, ever.

Others have the right to hold other opinions, including wishing the software was something it is not.

I haven't said otherwise, till now because there is nothing more to say other than the above.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Thanks for your help. I am aware of other ways to communicate with building professionals. I am new to the HDP software and am not yet aware of all that it can and cannot do. I enjoy being accurate in my drafting and was simply wondering if there was a more accurate way to draw the cabinet than I was already doing.