Hybrid View

Gable roof runs into gable roof

I just went through the tutorial "Using the Break Wall Tool to Modify Roofs," pages 103-106 in the User's Guide. It shows in particular how a gable-end roof over an L in a sample house plan can be made to run into an identically pitched (8-over-12) gable-end roof that runs the main axis of the plan. Near the end of the exercise, you read this: "Notice the step in the ridge line. This can be corrected by resizing the lower gable wall. Select the vertical wall to the right of the bottom gable and move it to the left 2 feet, reducing the length of the gable wall from 20 feet to 18 feet. When you are finished, rebuild the roof."

I did all that, and it worked perfectly. Now, let's return to the real world where I've got to create the same roof structure, and where the footprint simply and obviously can't be changed to make one ridge correctly meet another. What has to change, of course, is the pitch of, shall we say, the subordinate roof, the one over the L. There doesn't seem to be a way to do that without getting into manually shifting the roof planes, which seems to be an imperfect, time-consuming process. I know because I tried it.

What I really wanted to do was have the subordinate ridge come in below the main ridge. So I changed the subordinate pitches to 6-over-12. Sure enough, the ridge dropped and the valleys shifted, but the main pitch didn't fill in the blanks, as it were (see attached, 6 pitch into 8 pitch.jpg). Are there commands that would've accomplished that? Not knowing, I started manually moving the edges of the 8 pitches to make them meet those of the 6 pitch, and it seemed to work (see attached, manual fix plan.jpg and manual fix 3-D.jpg), but it took too much time and surely there are commands/procedures for making that happen.

In my neck of the woods, gable roofs very often run into other gable roofs are varying ridge heights. Hopefully HD Pro 2014 has a way to make that easy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6  pitch into 8 pitch.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	14349

Name:	manual fix plan.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	14350

Name:	manual fix 3-D.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	14351

You are almost there. The "Join Roof Planes" tool is for exactly this kind of task (See thumbnail 1). The other thing to consider is that when you vary the roof pitch it often changes the height of the eaves and so causes the gutters to not line up properly. For the gutters to line up properly you will want to look at the "Roof Plane Specification" dbx for all the roof planes and ensure that the height for the "fascia Top" is the same for all planes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Join Roof-1.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	14352   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Join Roof-2.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	14353  
    Home Designer Pro 2014

Don't kill your ideas.... Execute them.

That worked RW! I guess I should snuggle up with the user's guide and spend a long time with it.

At the risk of overstaying my welcome, I want to add either a ±24" deep, closed-end, probably unbracketed shed roof section or an open-framed arbor over a pair of garage doors, mainly to break up the monotony of the wall expanse. I've attached examples of both items plus an image of the wall in question. Where does one begin?

Name:	roof over gar doors.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	14361

Name:	arbor over gar door.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	14362

Name:	garage wall.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	14363

Take a look at the short video as it might help:

http://djpdesigns.net/html/join_roofs.htm

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Joey, didn't have a lot of time tonight but here is a quick version to get you started. Use the Build/Roof/Roof Plane tool to place the roof in the plan view. You can then select it and open the "Roof Plane Specification" dbx to tweak the pertinent characteristics (pitch, fascia height etc.). To close the ends I used wedges which can be found in the library. You will have to play around with the wedge dimensions to get it to fit. Build one end then copy and paste it to the other side. Didn't have time to explore the arbor option. If you can find something that looks good in the library or bonus catalogs you can use that. Otherwise I would try to cobble something together using soffits. It will be more work than the roof option.

Name:	Garage Eyebrow.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	14366  
    Home Designer Pro 2014

Don't kill your ideas.... Execute them.

Many thanks. Will give it a try.
    Joe

Joe, give Trembles 3D warehouse a try. W/Pro you can download a .skp file and drag it into your plan. Maybe able to modify to work. I key worded Arbor and also Purgola. Attached is the idea.

Name:	Purgola.JPG 
Views:	237 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	14368  
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7
    Picture Painter Home & Landscape

Nashville-TN

“ The nicest thing about the future is that it always starts tomorrow”