Stair Solution Needed - Chief Architect Pro

I am a new users to Chief Architect and a new designer. I am designing a beach house that I am trying to make the most out of every inch. I have a space of 8' 5" from the ground floor to the 3rd floor - that is all I have. Is there are way for the software to help me design a staircase. There used to be a spiral staircase which was so difficult to move things up and down. Can the software help me and if so, how?

I suggest you start by going to the software's web site and also the user manual etc. The software can only help you do what it is "programmed" to do. Also, the shorter the "floor-to-floor" distance, the further the run of the stair will have to be to avoid a steep stair case, except of course, you use a "spiral" stair case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stair tools.JPG 
Views:	240 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	14390  
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7
    Picture Painter Home & Landscape

Nashville-TN

“ The nicest thing about the future is that it always starts tomorrow”

MD, are you sure you only have eight feet, five inches vertical height for three floors??? (Munchkin land?)

I wonder if that is a typo.

In more practical terms, the software will create stairs from one floor to another no matter how short or tall those floors are, you create the floors and then use the stair tool as it is intended and it will "seek out" the floor above.

Can the software help me and if so, how?
    The software is merely a sophisticated mechanical device. By itself it can do nothing but take up space on a hard drive. I agree with BB Boy in that once you learn how to use the tools of Home Designer then YOU can do whatever you want to do within its limitations but you must first learn how to make it dance.

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 03-04-2014 at 02:13 PM.

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Thank you for your advice and quick response. I will take a look at the documentation. You are correct, I did describe Munchkin Land! I meant to describe that I have a square opening from the "0" level to the second level that is 8'5" square. The "0" level is at the beach level and must conform to hurricane breakaway construction requirements. However, that is the level that the stairs begin to lead to the living space. Level "0" is totally enclosed and will have a finished entryway. The total space that I have to work with is almost like an elevator shaft in that it is an opening 3 levels high that is 8'5" square. I really do not want another spiral staircase as I have had plenty of close close calls carrying luggage, groceries, furniture etc... with the previous space.

Take a look at the video tutorials about stairs and then practice drawing stairs and landings in a simple test plan with your dimensions until you then see how to use the stair and landing tools, the video will show you how to get started and then practice what you watched.

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 03-04-2014 at 07:13 PM.

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

8'6" square is plenty to make a stair broken by a landing midway up the flight to turn on and go 180 deg the other direction,something like below....

45 " is usually nice for ext. stairs if you have the room ,and you do. No sure on code there but in some place if your staircase is wider than 48" you will need to add rails at the wall side too which would mean you only had 45" of room anyway if carrying bags /groceries etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8-6- stairwell.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	14394
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

Thank you. I came to a similar design. I appreciate your advice. Happy Pi Day! 3.14, 2014

Just keep code in mind. Inspectors are pretty strict about stairways, especially in Florida with new construction. If you are using triangular winders, there is also a minimum width on the narrow side you have to comply with.
    Chief Architect Home Designer Pro
    Skill Level - Know just enough to be Dangerous