Gable Wall Siding

Hello, Everyone. This is my first post here. I recently purchased Home Designer Pro 2014. I have been experimenting with a home we are currently building and I have run into my first problem. I have attached some pictures to hopefully aid in the process. I have a balloon framed gable wall with a 9/12 on one side and a 4/12 on the other. On the 4/12 side, there is a false 9/12 overhang which makes it appear as though the 4/12 roof is a shed dormer. I need to keep the walls where they are so from what I have learned so far I cannot use a shed dormer here. What I need to accomplish is to match the siding on the section of gable wall above the false 9/12 overhang to the shake siding on the front "shed dormer" wall. But the remaining gable wall beneath the false 9/12 overhang must remain log siding. Is there any way to accomplish this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture1.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	14463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture2.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	14464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture3.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	14465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture4.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	14466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture5.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	14467

did you try pulling the selection box back under the false 9/12 roof with its selection handle? not sure what happens to the 4/12 wall you may need to "add" a new wall with the shingle.

M.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

Kbird, thank you for your response. I did try reshaping the selection box to fit under the 9/12 roof, but the section of wall above the 9/12 roof would disappear. I then attempted to add a wall above the the 9/12 roof, but i had little success. Any suggestions for adding another wall or other possible solutions? Any help is appreciated.

I only have version 10 still so can't play will your plan unfortunately....

so you couldn't add a wall in the attic level? or extend the front wall back around?

how about using a cabinet soffit and make the material shingles?

DJP will have more insight and your version so he will have advice when he sees this thread is my guess.

M.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

I have messed around with an attic wall with a little success, but it really messed up the framing. If there is a way to extend the front wall back around, I cant figure that out right now. I looked into the cabinet soffit you mentioned. I played around with it for a second and it seems like it will work if I can get the right shape. I'm having a little difficulty with the shape right now.

Thank you for all of the help so far.

Your method of choice is to explode the dormers (if you used the dormer tool to create them) into individual walls, roof planes and holes in the roof poly-lines and then set the side walls to "Pony Walls" (Pony walls have the ability to display two differing wall types in the same wall at differing levels/shapes). You cannot do this with unexploded dormer walls. This has not changed in terms of application since version 6 of Home Designer Pro. The separate wall poly-lines can then be manually shaped to fit your reveal purposes.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Thx David ,knew you'd have it ..... hadn't thought of Pony walls up there , always think of them as Foundation type walls , good to know for the future.

M.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5