elevated hip roof porch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hip porch example.jpg 
Views:	712 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	14555

Version: Designer Pro 2014

I need instructions for elevating hip roof porch like example shown in attached photo. By default ceiling height is same and roof lines work good but when I elevate ceiling roof lines change to more complex design by default. Can anyone direct me to tutorial that shows how to elevate porch above house roof line (about 12").

Thanks,

Bob

not sure but you might have to play with manual roof planes and lock the Eave (fascia ) height after setting the Porch room final ceiling height.

then delete the auto generated roof planes over the porch ( only) and with Auto Roofs Off.... draw in your own Roof planes and shape them as needed .

M.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

Your posted image shows all roof fascia tops at the same level but it sounds like you want the entry porch roofs only elevated. The way I commonly do this is merely to raise the ceiling height of the entry porch Room Dialog Box, which forces its roofs up. Then as KBird pointed out you may have some manual cleaning up of the results after auto-roof generation.

Differing ceiling heights will give you some control over roof heights.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

once you manually change planes how do you lock just these planes

Quote Originally Posted by Kbird View Post
    not sure but you might have to play with manual roof planes and lock the Eave (fascia ) height after setting the Porch room final ceiling height.

then delete the auto generated roof planes over the porch ( only) and with Auto Roofs Off.... draw in your own Roof planes and shape them as needed .

M.
    Thanks David and kbird for good answers as they work great. Only how do you now lock these manually generated planes I've modified as I will still need to continue to design house and regenerate roof as house changes (not porch). Is the solution to just do porch last?

Thanks Bob

Here is another solution.
    Creating an invisible interior room (with the same ceiling height as the porch), will raise the offending roof planes to match the porch.
    You have to change the ceiling thickness to offset the raised ceiling in the interior.

After you have completely finished your plan and have turned off 'auto build roof',
    you can then delete the invisible room. The interior ceiling will return to normal, and the wall lines will be gone
    from the 2D plan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raised porch roof.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	14565  
    Last edited by JoAnn; 04-18-2014 at 10:53 AM.
    JoAnn

HD Architectural 10
    HD Suite 6 & 7

I think Rich might be right JoAnn .... you are "The Queen of Thinking Outside the Box" very interesting....

Hi Bob , you photo doesn't show the fascia/gutters lining up does it? like David and I thought so too yesterday, which is why I mentioned
    using manual roof planes and locking the eave/gutter height but looking again , it looks like the gutters/fascia on the Porch are higher aren't they?

so all you would need to do to get that effect is to raise the default Room Finished Ceiling height in the Porch Room DBX by the 12 " needed and
    you will get exactly that look auto generated , no messing with Manual Roofs .... works for me on my "Play Plan"

DBX = Dialog Box .....it's a common abbrev. on the Forums.

A tutorial on manual basic Roofs too:

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...igner-Pro.html
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5