Two different pitches on same roof

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof.png 
Views:	1196 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	14560

I need a 8/12 pitch on the garage
    I want the house ridge to match the height of the garage.
    I need a 5 /12 pitch on the house to achieve this.

How do i get the program to have two pitches on the same roof.
    Truksttop

Home Designer Professional 2014

Hey TS, got some confusion as to which pitch goes where.
    I'm going with the layout given in your sketch. 5/12 for
    the garage and 8/12 for the house.

You can achieve this however this becomes as much of
    a math problem as a roofing problem. If you want the
    house and garage ridges to have the same height and
    also want to keep the exact roof pitches for each one
    you will have to lock these values for each roof plane in
    the "Roof Plane Specification" dbx. The problem becomes
    that with all these values fixed you are dictating what
    dimensions the width of the garage and house can be
    relative to each other. For example, in my drawing I
    set the width of the garage as 21' wide and that then
    dictated how wide the house could be (in my case it
    meant that the house had to be about 14' wide)
    depending on the roof overhang at the eaves. I don't
    know if any of this is making sense to you but here
    is a screen shot to show that it is doable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Two Pitches.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	14561  
    Home Designer Pro 2014

Don't kill your ideas.... Execute them.

You have Pro so you can Manipulate the Auto generated Roof once it is built (turn off Auto Roofs once it is built the 1st time....in the Build>Roof> DBX)

if you didn't already set the Roof defaults you want you may need to delete the roof planes and start again.

Build>Roof> in the DBX set the pitch to 8 (in 12") and any other defaults you want such as overhangs.... >OK

the Roof will be wrong due to the pitch being all 8" now you can click on the green lines and reshape each Roof Plane in Plan view as needed.

click the LH roof plane of the N/S building ,and pull the small point in the middle back to a straight line running north south (zoom in to get it right)

then grab the point of the roof plane on the lower East/west building and drag it up till it is centered/lined up with the ridge on the E/W building
    a DBX will popup and ask if you want the baseline or the Eave height to match ,in this case I think Eave is right as you probably want Gutters going continuous. > OK

then drag the Roof plane you just left behind on the lower N/S building and drag it up to the one you just moved. same DBX>OK

Now just do the same with the other side of the E/W (garage) building's Roof Same DBX will turn up again....don't "turn it off for this session" you need it all the way thru.

the end roof plane on the E/W building (garage) will need to be pulled down to the wall a bit , answer DBX again then pull it back up to intersection again so the pitch is corrected.

Now unless the buildings are the EXACT correct width the pitch may NOT be 5" unless the wall plate heights are different, but you can check the true pitch by "open object" after selecting one of the roof planes. If the garge MUST BE 5" pitch then do the instructions with 5" pitch not 8" and the House pitch may not be 8" ,unless for eg you garage has taller ceiling than the house.

If the wall height (plates heights) are the same choose that on the DBX popup instead of Eave height and the Gutters /fascias will be at different heights instead.

Don't turn Auto roofs back on for this plan or all your work will disappear/be rebuilt.

you may have "crosses" turn up as you manipulate things , these a temp CAD Points , goto CAD>Points>delete temp point to eliminate

Hope this Helps .....just how I did now but there is probably other ways too.....

Edit: ok Rich gave you and answer while I was typing this too.... another good bit of info.....
    Last edited by Kbird; 04-17-2014 at 04:15 PM.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5