Threaded View

Pro 14 & Minimum System Requirements & Pier Foundations

I am running Pro 9 on a laptop with windows 7 64 bit, with an Intel I7 Q720 (1.60 GHz), 8 meg RAM, and a AMD Radeon Graphics Card 6570/5700 series with 1 Gig dedicated memory. I have wanted to upgrade to newer versions, but have avoided the upgrade in fear that it won't work (particularly as respects the 2.4 GHz processor speed). Am I right to assume Pro 14 won't run on my equipment?

If the answer is no, it seems like I have to get a new laptop with every upgrade, which can get costly. I'm not adverse to getting a new laptop. However, these days I use it just for this application and email/internet. Are there any tips on what to buy that a) might be sufficient just for Pro 14 <a minimum cost alternative> or b) something that might be usable for future upgrades? Is a dedicated "video card" always needed <excessive battery usage> or are there any shared graphics setups that will reserve enough video memory for this application. Sorry for all the questions but it's too risky and/or too expensive to get the hardware wrong and then be stuck with it.

Lastly, I'm working mostly with low country/elevated structures on square pre stressed concrete piers/pilings. Currently Pro 9 seems to be limited to 2 floors plus a basement, and the pier basement is for the footing, not the walls. If I use one floor for the piers I seem to be limited to one more main living level plus attic, whereas I need two living levels. Will Pro 14 accomodate more than 2 levels?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Charlie
    Charlie C
    Pro 9