Pro 14 & Minimum System Requirements & Pier Foundations

I am running Pro 9 on a laptop with windows 7 64 bit, with an Intel I7 Q720 (1.60 GHz), 8 meg RAM, and a AMD Radeon Graphics Card 6570/5700 series with 1 Gig dedicated memory. I have wanted to upgrade to newer versions, but have avoided the upgrade in fear that it won't work (particularly as respects the 2.4 GHz processor speed). Am I right to assume Pro 14 won't run on my equipment?

If the answer is no, it seems like I have to get a new laptop with every upgrade, which can get costly. I'm not adverse to getting a new laptop. However, these days I use it just for this application and email/internet. Are there any tips on what to buy that a) might be sufficient just for Pro 14 <a minimum cost alternative> or b) something that might be usable for future upgrades? Is a dedicated "video card" always needed <excessive battery usage> or are there any shared graphics setups that will reserve enough video memory for this application. Sorry for all the questions but it's too risky and/or too expensive to get the hardware wrong and then be stuck with it.

Lastly, I'm working mostly with low country/elevated structures on square pre stressed concrete piers/pilings. Currently Pro 9 seems to be limited to 2 floors plus a basement, and the pier basement is for the footing, not the walls. If I use one floor for the piers I seem to be limited to one more main living level plus attic, whereas I need two living levels. Will Pro 14 accomodate more than 2 levels?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Charlie
    Charlie C
    Pro 9

I have Pro 9 on my laptop (it is an old HP G70-250, 2 Ghz, dual core Pentium), I also have Chief Architect Premier X4, X5 and X6 on that same laptop. If you will look at my "Signature" line, you will see the specs of my main desktop PC and what I run on it.

Those applications run fine on it, they run even better on my desktop which has more RAM, a good video card and an SSD. I prefer to work on my desktop but both serve me well, I use the laptop mainly as a second PC for field work. The point is I use both and both work.

The idea that you must buy a new PC when you upgrade your software is not true. What is true is that more up to date hardware will give you better performance per unit of time that older hardware but that is all there is to that.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

it should work fine , wont be speedy I guess but if speed is no concern should be fine , video card has good mem at 1gb , it is the cpu at 1.6 that will be a little slow but you have good ram , I run AHD9 on my old Asus 1005ha netbook with an external 23" monitor and it doesn't have the specs of your LT by a large amount. It was fine if a bit slow in 3d (only) but since Pro wouldn't work with out internet (every two weeks) I was forced to use AHD9 and it was fine while I worked out of Town in a remote Area.

Not sure on the no# of floors but I thought Pro allowed 3 floors plus the basement....not sure if the auto generated attic is the 3rd level though.

Another thought is that Chief X6 was just released 2-3 months ago ,and usually the next Gen HD Pro (2015-6?) comes out about 6 months after the Chief Products are released, so might be worth holding off or talking to Sales before you Upgrade... 2mths after I got Pro 10-Pro 12 came out, just sayin'.....

M.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5