Add 3' of stone to existing vertical siding

I originally have vertical siding on plan & now want to add 3 ft of stone from the bottom. Have changed wall to pony wall but it won't change from siding to stone even though I have specified.

Your question sounds similar to mine.

http://hometalk.homedesignersoftware...AND-lap-siding
    Home Designer Suite 2014

Since Suite does not have a Pony-Wall tool, you need to overlay the stone by using a reshaped soffit (cabinet tools) set to a stone material (Architectural and Pro have a pony wall tool that does the same thing just a little more elegant than an overlay) but both methods work.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

I found with existing walls I changed to pony wall ,that if I changed the wall type in plan view the wall didn't show the pony wall in a 3D view but if I change the wall to Pony Wall in the
    3D view itself it does show the pony wall as expected , you can also set the height for the split in wall types.

The OP must have AHD or Pro as he has the Pony Wall option apparently.

M.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

I do have Pro. I have a completed plan that I wanted to add the rock to the lower portion of the wall. When I change it to a pony wall a line at the correct height shows up, but the siding remains. If I delete a wall and redraw it as a pony wall it does work. I tried changing to a pony wall in 3D with no results.

If I create a test plan with standard walls and then change to a pony wall it works correctly.

Yest. I happened to be doing a house with a 1/2 basement ,so bottom 1/2 was 8" conc.wall top 1/2 6" siding for my Basement walls and I had to do as above, in the 3d view to get it to show. So I just opened a "play plan" with a single storey house , clicked "straight exterior walls >pulled a selection box around the entire house while holding SHIFT>RC on the center edit handle> opened object> this brings up the wall spec. dbx for ALL walls>changed to PonyWall and applied and .....it worked ......, not much help I guess but can't explain it either ....I'm using Pro 10 ,but not sure if there is a Version diff. causing it here or not ? or why the same sequence didn't work on yesterday's plan...unless it is a bug for Foundation walls only? or I have my defaults set wrong or something ?....

M.
    Last edited by Kbird; 04-24-2014 at 12:11 PM.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

Ok went back to yest.'s plan and still same issue , figured I had "played to much" and Pro was "confused" now , so deleted the Foundation , set my Foundation and Pony Wall Defaults correctly ( Edit>Defaults>foundation + Walls/ponywall) , rebuilt the foundation , ,went to level 0 (zero) ( I'm doing a basement wall, you maybe on level 1) , did the shift-select of the house as above and change the wall type to ponywall>defined the siding and Conc.8" as needed for upper and lower wall type and now it worked as expected.... I'm guessing changing individual walls yest. trying to make this happen screwed something up , so starting again might be the key .... unless you have done a lot of custom work on your foundation already in which case you wouldn't want to delete it.

I think you are on level one though so the trick to rebuild the foundation doesn't work to "reset" things ....... have you set your defaults up? did you build your foundation yet? perhaps the stone won't "build" without a foundation for it?
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

Kbird...Thanks, tried all of your suggestions, but still not changing the lower portion. I went back to the original plan (designing roof on a copied plan) and the lower wall material will change. So obviously I've changed something while designing the roof that is messing up the pony wall mode.

It's a complicated plan, 40 corners in the foundation, tower above the entry, lofts and different pitched roofs, so I dread it.

Have a look in the HD Pro Data Folder , there is a Folder Called Archives , which are the Auto backups of the plans you have worked on , and see if one of them is old enough to eliminate the issue without have to redraw too much.

some other thoughts...

did you check the default materials on each 1/2 of the wall , in the materials tab of the dbx are correct ? see the lower part of this KB Article:

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...icle/KB-00916/

this one has more on the stepped foundation/pony walls too:

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...icle/KB-01809/

DJP , may be more help , ask him if he'll look at your plan as he has lots of knowledge and just about all versions of the software so can open your file, he maybe able to figure it out , as I'm not sure how working on roof planes would effect Pony Walls......it may not be the real cause though.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

I think Kbird's nailed it with the first article above on restoring materials for pony walls using the Material Painter.
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...icle/KB-00916/ worked. I changed the exterior surface many time with no results using "library material", but never "plan material".

Thanks for the info.