Complicated roof on small home

Modeling the as-built of my home, stumped with how to get the roof correct. I would have posted all the "iterations" that I have created (with the manual roof tool) over the "months" I've worked on it, but alas, that would take as many days as months I've spent. I continue to practice, however; each attempt is something not-at-all the actual roof. I am posting a free-hand CAD iso and connected actual photo's of the home oriented with the actual elevations. Also included floor plan with displays turned off to show the roof (that I drew in plan with CAD tools) and the plan model walls only.

If anyone would like to try your hand at it, I will be glad to zip the file and send to your in box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FH ISO 1013 w_photos.JPG 
Views:	354 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	14598   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plan 1013 w_photos.JPG 
Views:	354 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	14599  
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7
    Picture Painter Home & Landscape

Nashville-TN

“ The nicest thing about the future is that it always starts tomorrow”

Hi Bob, nice way to do the images unfortunately they are very small once I click on them especially the photos of the actual with the iso image so any details are lost, I do have Pro 10 too so can take a look ..... will send PM ...

M.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

BB, this does not appear to be very hard to do at a glance. a combination of auto roof building followed by a little manual editing. Send me your file and I will make a You Tube video of doing so if you like. Should be fun. I also need to know the intended pitches.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Hard to beat the offer of a video tutorial ..... but was thinking the same as David....

M.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

I agree with Kbird that your images are too small, and the details become blurry...and you didn't really say what part of the roof was giving you grief.
    So I attempted to trace over your floor plan, but even that was difficult because you removed the grid. If the cad drawing was what you were wanting, then this is what I came up with.
    I couldn't tell if your main roof pitch was 6 or 8, so I used 6. Is this what it is supposed to look like?

Name:	BB boy house.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	14600  
    JoAnn

HD Architectural 10
    HD Suite 6 & 7

JoAnn; that IS IT to a TEE! I know (DJP) it SHOULD be simple!?!?!....and I DID use manual roof tools. I was sure to set all the room heights the same...checked and double checked. The main body of the roof (call it plan east and west) is 6/12 with a 4/12 on the shed. Not sure what the pitch is over the (plan north-south) gables are; but to keep it as short and concise as possible.....I attempted it over-and-over again. One time the back section of the main gable roof would suddenly jumped to the sky....the front side would be ok, until I tried adding the shed, or make the (plan east) end of the main gable tied into the (plan south) projecting gable then one half would suddenly drop below 4/12 leaving a gap between both sections. I used the join roof section tool, I tiled the plan with the elevation so I could see what was happening, in one case the (plan north) section over the little bump out (plan west) of the Fire place lost its roof, on one half (I kid you not) and the other half forming a tall triangle suddenly appeared. To get the short gable where the (plan west) gable bumps into the (plan south side) east west gable I used the break wall tool, unchecked rebuild roof, raised the ceiling height in those two rooms...the entire plan went "hay-wire"! To get the results you got (JoAnn) is still a mystery to me!!!
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7

Nashville-TN

David, the very first attempt (after previous recommendations from You) was do set all the gable wall ends (including where the front gable roof jumps up) and for the most part the roof came pretty close, except of course the bump up part of the roof. I attempted "editing" what I had accomplished to that point with the manual roof tool, adding the shed, and so-on then the "misery" ensued! I thought I was at least getting close the one and only time everything looked pretty good, but a couple of the ridges wouldn't meet, the join roof tool would work there, but it caused changes elsewhere I COULDN'T fix without altering the remaining roof plains. I did (thinking that would fix it) set the roof bearing points in the appropriate DBX's the same, to see if that would help, it didn't (of course changing the pitches). I can "build it" much easier than model it!
    I will send you my plan file and certainly appreciate your help.
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7

Nashville-TN

JoAnn, attaching file with grid turned on. Hopefully the photos attached also.
    No, they won't attach. Don't know how to improve the quality of the photo's or attach them K-bird.

Name:	Plan 1013 grid turned on w_photos.JPG 
Views:	306 
Size:	174.8 KB 
ID:	14602  
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7

Nashville-TN

Thanks for the grid, Bob! My house size doesn't match your house size, but I don't think that will matter.
    My program does not have manual roof tools, so this is done with auto roofs.

You roof eaves appear to rest low (above the windows), so I lowered ALL ceiling heights to 8'.

I used an invisible wall to force the roof eave down (and protruding) across the front of the house, and I extended it clear to the east end of of the house just to know where to place a roof break.
    Be SURE to check ALL the little room pockets produced by the invisible wall for an 8' ceiling height (especially in the porch room!).
    This produced a looong EVEN roof ridge across that portion of the house.
    The front house wall facing the porch (wall break added) had to be defined as 'no room def.' to make the front porch shed roof (4/12) build correctly.

I built the angled nook walls (back of house) as a square gable to get the roof to build that way in my program. After I turned off 'auto build roof', I rebuilt the walls the way they are suppose to be. It was easy to do, because I had the angled foundation walls (that still remained) to use as a guide. Of course I then removed all the extra stuff, too. And I unchecked 'no room def. on that front wall.

Name:	AUTO BUILD ROOF ON.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	14603   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AUTO BUILD ROOF OFF.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	14604  
    JoAnn

HD Architectural 10
    HD Suite 6 & 7

Here is a link to the video I made while looking over your plan:

http://youtu.be/dYjuO2ZAPXo

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

WOW JoAnn, you are def GOOD at the software and work arounds for SURE!
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7

Nashville-TN

Thanks David. I noticed in watching the You Tube you prepared (by the way thank you SO much for the time and trouble), I had missed the fact in plan that at the plan east end on the plan south side, that projected bedroom wall actually aligns with the edge of the porch, thus the shed eave and gable eave of the projecting bedroom wall also align. I fixed in the plan since your you-tube. Also, the fire place (as you can see in the free hand iso) projects above the roof of the main house and there is a cricket as JoAnn shows in her rendition. And, the roof over the eating area (the walls are built angular and cantilever from the house main floor plan) is a gable and does not follow the wall angles.
    I have gleaned a lot from just the first few moments watching you work with the manual roof tools. I will watch again, several times, before I practice on my plan.
    Thanks again
    Bob
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7

Nashville-TN

Hi BB/David , just watched the vid. while I was having a coffee , picked up a tip or two so thanks, but David I think you inadvertently changed the Roof Pitch over the Porch when you dragged the Top roof line up to meet the gable roof ridge on the RH side to fix the main roof problem intersection. At least in the Vid. I didn't see you lock the porch roof at 4/12 again and let it rebuild.

looks like you have a foundation issue too BB I see a hole that looks like it runs from under the front door out through the rear of the house.--- might need to "rebuild your foundation if you have been "playing with it"

M.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

Mick, made several corrections to the plan for "actual" wall locations. Hadn't rebuilt the fndtn yet; wanted to make sure nothing else had to be corrected in the floor plan. Good catch. Still working on the roof until I get it right.
    Bob
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7

Nashville-TN