Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mick...
    I did the round roof with circular 3rd floor walls and made the ceiling height '0' to eliminate the walls.
    Using a cone would probably work well also...you would also have to add a short height cylinder under the cone to represent the fascia.
    JoAnn

HD Architectural 10
    HD Suite 6 & 7

Looks like it is coming along , not sure if it helps but I have an old album with 2 stone columns in it if you'd like it.... I have resized the columns in the images to 18x18 from default but you can change the stone and colour of the wood too if needed.

okay it let me attach the Library too so use it if you need.... All credit to DMDz for the Lib. I didn't make them....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stone Columns.jpg 
Views:	741 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	14663

Name:	Stone Columns2.jpg 
Views:	737 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	14664

DMDzExtPostSymbols.zip
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

Hi JoAnn , yes the Cone works ( see above) but didn't look as nice as yours as it is facetted , and I was wondering how you got the fascia/gutter look too .....

Thx.

edit: Hadnt played with circular walls before ,but finally figured out you have to do a circle as two 1/2 arcs otherwise it wont join up....

looks like you need to set the floor structure to 1" ? and leave the floor finish at 1/2 "? or something to cover the bottom of the roof right?
    Last edited by Kbird; 05-12-2014 at 02:04 PM.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

I used circular walls, so the roof and gutters built themselves. I don't know why your cone is faceted, cause I tried one and mine is round. I don't know how you would add gutters to a round object such as a cone or a cylinder.
    JoAnn

HD Architectural 10
    HD Suite 6 & 7

no the round wall wall is better , I asked cos I saw you had gutters ,which the cone wouldn't do obviously , the round walls also make the roof facets smaller which make them look better , they are about 1/2 the length in my drawing and you get the gutter , setting the rafters to trusses /no birdsmouth seems to have given me the soffit material now too.

Name:	round roofs.jpg 
Views:	624 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	14666
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

JoAnn, maybe the snip will work. I can get most everything, except now I can't get the cupola above the roof (even though I have it drawn on a blank 2nd floor) Hmph!?!?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cons of plan.JPG 
Views:	345 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	14675  
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7
    Picture Painter Home & Landscape

Nashville-TN

“ The nicest thing about the future is that it always starts tomorrow”

Bob,

Thanks for the 2D jpeg. You didn't say what the ceiling heights were, or what the main roof pitch was...so I guessed.

I think my dimensions are pretty close to yours, so I added all the interior walls too. Roof problems (just like yours) appeared
    only when I tried to pull up the interior walls of the cupola so they wouldn't hang down in the open ceiling of the interior.
    This happened because I didn't turn off 'auto build roof '. The floor heights then climbed, and so did the walls and the roof.
    The windows and vents went up in the air ( I think it's because their 'floor to top' setting doesn't change).
    So, I still think all the crazy roof problems relate to floor and/or ceiling heights.

I did the middle cupola on floor 2, and had more problems with it than with the other 2, which I built as floor 3.
    Keep raising the ceiling height until you see the cupola.

Name:	BB boy plan.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	14676  
    JoAnn

HD Architectural 10
    HD Suite 6 & 7

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnn View Post
    Bob...
    When you said 'round top' I thought you meant the roof, or even the cupola. So i tried making a round cupola and the software won't allow it ( it sends the roof wonky). So I made this 6 sided cupola that I think looks nice.
    Stop the presses! Don't tell me we have finally found
    something you can't do with that antiquated software.

Name:	Round Cupola.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	14677  
    Home Designer Pro 2014

Don't kill your ideas.... Execute them.

You have circular Walls JoAnn so shouldn't be any harder to make a round cupola on level 2 blank floor than the square cupola , at least for me with Pro 10 it was exactly the same process except I couldn't freehand a circle wall ,so I used a CAD circle and dragged the wall ( turn snap indicators on if needed) around the circle in two sections so the would join into a circle and rebuilt the roof, gave me the same round roof as the 3rd floor round roof you just showed me.

Curious which Library you used for your stone/wood columns in the post above too .....
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

Looks nice. Not working on it any more until I hear back from their board. HOW DID you get or where did you get the columns? I think in the end they are looking for a "NICER" column and I am experimenting using shapes and modifying?
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7

Nashville-TN

Rich...smarty pants!

Mick..
    After the wonky roof (like Rich's drain thread) I tried again and had no problem the second time around creating a round cupola. I don't know why it was so uncooperative the 1st time!
    JoAnn

HD Architectural 10
    HD Suite 6 & 7

I think I've been hi-jacked!!!!
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7

Nashville-TN

Bob,
    The top of the post is just designated 'large post' in the railing wall spec.
    The bottom post is just a soffit, and then a short soffit + thin pedestal shape to form the cap.
    I put them together and made a block. It was the easy to copy/paste and drag them to where they belonged.

I don't know what manufacturer makes the stone, but I got it from http://www.3d-diva.com and it is called dry stack river stone.
    She has lots of nice textures. You will have to alter its material definition until it looks right.

Name:	BB boy plan.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	14682  
    JoAnn

HD Architectural 10
    HD Suite 6 & 7

If you missed it there is some Columns in Post #32 from DMDz (zip file) he did 4-5 yrs ago I think that I had in my collection , and here are some I made last night out of Shapes and brackets from HD Library.

hmmmm Wont let me post them here so will try on the new forum.....

edit: ok I have ontinued this thread at the new hometalk and posted my Columns if you want them...

M.
    Last edited by Kbird; 05-15-2014 at 11:25 AM.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5