Threaded View

Gosh! So much to read and assimilate has appeared in the 24 hours since I last posted!

It looks as if you might have hit the nail firmly on the head, Mick. The video card in my old machine was indeed Nvidia. When I was choosing the specifications for my new machine (pretending to myself that I actually knew what I was doing) I was governed by a very strict budget and Nvidia took me over it and even more so when I added the shipping charges from the city of Nottingham towards the north of England to my county of Devon way down in the south west. I compared some reviews on Google of the video cards that the builder offered. Obviously the highly technical stuff went way over my head but the bottom line comments indicated that the AMD/ATI HD5450 would be suitable so I went for it.

The builder was aware that I did not do any gaming but was also aware that I did architectural stuff. Whether he realised that this included 3D I don't know. The old card is still in the old machine which I have not disposed of yet. I need to find someone who can take it out and stick it in the new computer (if, indeed, it fits) and then I'll use it for a while until I can afford a brand new virgin Nvidia.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sigh 2.JPG 
Views:	3650 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	14657 Of course I knew that if you turned off the sun it would be dark - stoopid I may be but not dumb (is there a difference?)

I'll have a play with your setting and preference suggestions as an interim measure as well. I'm sure I'll find something to satisfy me in the short term.

Thank you both for your input.
    Now using Windows 7 Professional 32 bit. RIP Windows XP
    Home Designer 2014 Pro