Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question generating a one-and-a-half story house?

I am creating a one-and-a-half story house with a common back roof plane, but separate front roof planes. I used the method shown in the training video:

1) Create a second story based on first story
    2) Set the gable walls on second story
    3) Set the ceiling height (0-1" in my case) to set the second story wall height.
    4) Build automatic roof planes (10/12 in my case)

(No artifact at this point)

5) Reset the ceiling height to the desired (90" for me) and rebuild walls/floors/celings.

After step 5) a wall segment is extented from the lower roof plane to the upper. See attached picture (forward roof surfaces deleted). Can't get rid of it no matter what I try. TIA.

Using Pro 6.04.

ptm

Wink one and a half story houses

I am remodelling a house with 4 foot walls on the second floor. The roof rafters start here and then proceed upwards in a 10/12 pitch. There are no knee walls on the back. front has two knee walls separated by a shed dormer.

When I try to draw the roof I either have it starting at the top of the second story - 96 inches or so or if I put in a knee wall the roof wants to start at the top of the first floor.

How do I get the roof to start hald way up the second floor so the bedrooms have a small sloped ceiling in the corners due to the roof line?

The only luck I had so far is with invisible walls but this seems cumbersome.

Any comments appreciated.

Regards,

Set your ceiling height at 48" on the second floor before building the roof.
    Then raise it after..
    Make sure auto rebuild roofs is off.
    Last edited by Allen42ACJ; 12-10-2007 at 07:18 AM.
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

First of all-we need to know what version of the software you are using. It will save you and others time, if you go to the user control panel and include a signature with the version of the product you are using.
    You should have received training tutorial videos with your software package, and most of them include a how to build this type of roof. Try that out.
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7
    Picture Painter Home & Landscape

Nashville-TN

“ The nicest thing about the future is that it always starts tomorrow”

fliphouse,

For this room to be "open" the "ceiling" must follow the roofline. Open the Room Specification dialog box, click on the Structure tab and un-check the box next to Ceiling Over This Room. (see attached)

And as Bob said, "we need to know what version of the software you are using. It will save you and others time, if you go to the user control panel and include a signature with the version of the product you are using.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	477 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	3178   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.JPG 
Views:	486 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	3179  
    Last edited by daydreamer; 12-10-2007 at 09:08 AM.

Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Smile one and a half stories

Thanks for all the advice - I got it working
    Fliphouse
    Home Designer Deluxe 7.08

UnHappy one and a half story problems

I'm trying to make a one and a half story house with some dormers, but as soon as I add the attic is makes it a two story house, and the attci part only one story. Why is it doing this?

Home Designer 7.09
    Last edited by Anna6484; 01-29-2008 at 05:30 PM.

Hi Anna,

There is a specific way the program want's 1-1/2 story houses designed.

See this link: http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...?faqNumber=358

It will be very helpful to all of us if you would enter the Name of your BH&G product and the Version in your Signature.
    To enter the information in your signature, click on Quick Links near the top of the page by Log Out. In the drop-down box click Edit Signature. Enter your information and click Save Signature.

Question Gambrel Roof with one and half story.

I trying to build a home with a Gambrel roof that is a story and a half. I looked on the help database but only help for single pitched roofs are on there. Does anyone know how to do this.

Hey Renegade,

Turn off Auto Build Roof if you have something like that.

If you have not done so already, select Build> Floor> Build New Floor from the menu to build a 2nd floor based on the 1st floor plan.

On the second floor, click the Select Objects tool, then double-click on one of the walls and make it a Gable wall. Select the opposite wall and make it a Gable wall.

Click in the 2nd floor room and enter 48" for the Ceiling Height. If you have interior walls, you must set the height for every room on the 2nd floor to 48".

On the 2nd floor set the pitch for the walls that are not gable. Set their Roof Pitch to 12 in 12. Then select the Upper Pitch and enter 6 in 12. In the Starts at field enter 210 then click okay. You can make this value more or less depending on where you want the pitch to change.

Next, select Build Roof. Then go into the room or rooms on the 2nd floor and enter a D in the Ceiling Height field.

Do not Rebuild the roof or you will have to start over.

It will be very helpful to all of us if you would enter the Name of your BH&G product and the Version in your Signature.
    To enter the information in your signature, click on Quick Links near the top of the page by Log Out. In the drop-down box click Edit Signature. Enter your information and click Save Signature.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gambrel1.JPG 
Views:	464 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	4206  
    Last edited by daydreamer; 02-01-2008 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks much for the reply and the tip.
    HD Suite 7.08

You're welcome, and thanks for adding your product info to your signature.

story and a half?

Hello. I'm using HD Pro 8.0 and I'm having trouble getting the walls in my garage to be taller than the rest of the house. What I'm trying to accomplish is to create a room above the garage as a bonus room.

What I'm doing is to draw the outer shell of the house and put 6 inch interior walls in to define the garage inside walls. I then right click on the garage room and changed the "Ceiling height B" to be 3' taller and leave the " Lowered ceiling C" to be default. I tried drawing auto roofs and it gives me one roof at the same height. I tried manual roofs drawing a different roof on the area that should have taller walls and the one that is default and it draws the two roofs at the same height. I'm confused as to why my walls are not taller in this room and why the roof isn't higher over the room with taller walls. I also tried to use the same height number for "B" and "C" with the same results. Just for clarification the entries are on the general tab of the room specification dialog.

One more thing I tried was to draw a second floor and make the wall 3' tall which seemed to work until I put a roof on it. The roof angles were terrible. What the house looks like is somewhat of a T with the garage and master bedroom being the top of the T and the kitchen, living and other bedrooms being the other part of the T. The garage is taller with a room above, the master bedroom should have a roof that drops 3' or what ever works out, and the rest of the house is the same level roof as the master bedroom.

The only thing I haven't tried was to manually draw the trusses. I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Any help is appreciated.
    TeaMan