Question How to create a half or partial wall?

Two questions...

1) I have 44" high bar top around my counters & I can't figure out how to do it.

2) A few interior walls in my house are 1/2 walls and the only way I can almost do it is to make a window for the top half (it looks really silly, though).

Tammy

1. To make a 44" high bar top, you could use a soffit or you could use a base cabinet that is only 1 1/2" high but off of the floor.

2. The best way to make a half wall is to make a railing and then change the type to "solid" in the dialog. If you want to create a hole in a wall, don't use a window, use a doorway instead. Place a door, open the dialog and change the type to doorway instead of hinged. Then set the casing size to 0.

Thanks so much! I used both of your ideas & they both worked perfectly!

The granite bar above the counter looks perfect now. I made the flat bar top about 8 inches above the counter & then made a 1 1/2 inch thick/8 inch high connector.

I never thought of a solid rail, changed to a regular white wall. That was great.

My remaining problem (at this point) is I have an outdoor "atrium" off of the master bath. Basically, it is three concrete walls that are only 6 feet high. No mater how I change the room or roof, the walls stay high.

Half wall

How do you create an interier wall that does not go completely from floor to ceiling? I have heard you can use soffit for this. Where is soffit?

Soffits can be located under the Cabinet child tools. Essentially, this seems to be a multipurpose box that can be have it's width, height, thickness and distance from the ground adjusted to simulate any variety of box-like objects. You can open it for specification by double clicking on it with the select objects tool. The Materials tab is where you would set it to the color/wallpaper of your room to simulate a half way wall.

Personally, I think the solid railing option is infinitely easier, it will keep the base molding in a room, and you can even place doors in Railings, but you can't do that if you use soffits.

Fun with solid railings as partial height walls.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SolidRailings_PartialHeightWalls.jpg 
Views:	814 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	8932  
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

i will, thanks so much!! this forum is great!

I was wondering if there was a way to get a half wall that's only about 4 feet tall. I'm using Home Designer 7.09

Use a cabinet without any face items or a solid railing. The solid railing is what the program's Help says to use, and it is better if you want to be able to have the moldings in a room wrap around it.

Article Number 317: How to change the height of an individual wall to create a half wall or partial wall

Name:	317_Figure1.jpg 
Views:	704 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	9637  
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Question Half wall

Kitchen has a half wall. How do I make? Home Design Deluxe

Why not follow Kat's suggestion of a railing wall?
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

I'm with Allen on this one. Solid railings work better in most cases then soffits. Draw a railing, then open the railing dialog and change its type to "solid".

When creating solid railing, by default, it will place this 2x4 molding on the top. How do you get rid of that unsightly piece of wood so your solid rail looks clean?

Mr. Nick,

Open the railing specification dialog, and on the Materials tab, assign the No Material (opening) material from the library to the railing. That should make it invisible so it can't be seen. The No Material (opening) material may be found in the Library -> Materials -> Misc depending on your software version.

Hope this helps.

Name:	rail.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	10840  
    Last edited by Elovia; 06-23-2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: to include the image
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

Elovia,

Thank you so much! It worked exactly as you said!