Editing Default Settings/General Materials/Walls

I'm using HD Suite 7 - and from reading previous posts discovered how i can globally change window and door material/colour using the
    Edit Menu/Default Settings

However when i change the default wall materials in Default Settings/General Materials/Walls (Exterior) it seems to have no effect on existing walls...

In fact setting a default external wall material seems to have no effect even on new walls (they show as red brick even when i choose a siding as a default) The only way i seem to be able to change them is manually after i create each wall.
    Am i doing something wrong and if not whats the point of the default settings if they get ignored? (can they only be used in certain circumstances of some kind)

(fyi i am using double brick cavity walls but have tried the same exercise with other wall types with the same effect)

thanks
    Mel

As far as I can tell, the default wall material only affects walls that have their wall type set to be "Wood Frame 16"OC".

For all of the other wall types, they get their material from the wall type. Pro lets you change the wall types so you can change the materials and thickness for these to be however you want. I don't think there is any way to do this in Suite though.

My recommendation is that you continue changing the walls after you have drawn them by either opening each wall and setting it there or by changing the material for each room. BTW, you can also change the wall material for your "exterior" room which should change all of the walls on the outside of the house at one time.

thanks for the tip re changing the entire outside by editing the outside as a room - didn't realise you could do that...Much easier
    Now i just have to go set all the walls i had manually changed back to default again!

Mell,

Changing the defaults only affects future changes to your plan. Everything you have done so far stays consistent with prior defaults.

This is actually a good thing. Say you are designing a house with 9' ceilings on the first floor and 8' ceilings on the second. You finish the first floor with one set of defaults and build the second with another.

Chris
    HD Deluxe v.7.08
    Windows XP