Question Skylights and custom ceilings?

Hi, everyone. I am new to this forum, and have been working with HD Pro 6.0 for about 10 days.

I have a skylight above a custom sloped ceiling (the ceiling pitch does not match the roof pitch). I figured out how to put 3 sides on the skylight opening by making attic walls, but the 4th "wall" is sloped. All I can figure out is to make another custom ceiling plane to represent the sloped "wall", but positioning it accurately, so far, has proved to be very error-prone and tedious.

Is there another option for creating this angled/sloped skylight opening wall in my ceiling?

Thanks for any suggestions/help anyone can offer.

"Coogan"

Hi Coogan --

re: Crashes -- if you are using a Render View when you experience a crash, you may want to update your video card drivers. For ATI video cards see www.ati.com -- NVIDIA at www.nvidia.com -- other video cards should provide driver update information in the box.

If you continue to discover crashes (particularly ones that you can reproduce every time) please do get them to Tech Support so we can address them.

re: Skylights -- are you using the skylight tool? The skylight tool will create the shaft walls for you automatically...
    John Pallett
    Product Manager
    Chief Architect (ART Inc.)
    Makers of Home Designer

Thanks for responding.

No, I never get crashes when using the Render Views. My NVidia drivers are recent, dated sometime in April 2004.

I get the most crashes when trying to work on roofs. Changing a roof plane outline is a sure way to get an Access Violation whenever you regenerate (F12). Also, double-clicking inside a "room" (that really isn't a room because it has "holes" through to the outside) is another way to make the program crash. I've gotten Assertion failures a few times, too. (I know what these are, since I develop software.)

I promise when I have reliable steps to duplicate some of these crashes/hangs, etc., I will report them. So far, I don't have enough experience to say I know the exact steps.

Of course I used the Skylight tool, but it doesn't appear to want to make a hole all the way through to a custom ceiling that DOESN'T follow the roof line. And it's the vertically slanted opening (in my case) between the roof and the ceiling that I'm having difficulties with. But my problem could just be inexperience.

Thanks.

We have recently been able to reproduce a crash when having the roof overhang area selected and hitting f12 to rebuild walls, floors, ceilings. Typically we keep this layer off and locked so it doesn't happen but if you have turned all your layers on and unlocked them you may experience this.

The roof overhang area is in display options on the system tab. Layer 14. There is never a reason to modify this as it is reconstructed whenever you to a rebuild.
    Dan Park
    Customer Support Manager
    Chief Architect, Inc