Hybrid View

my window and door glass is black

I am using home designer pro 9. I designed a house in default mode and then cut and pasted it into a new design plan with the urban theme. The problem is that all my window and door glass is black both inside and out. I went to the default and made sure all the glass was standard, made sure that my backdrop wasn't black and think I did everything right. I just checked and every single one of my plans even the ones I did a month ago all have black windows and doors. I did restart the program but that has not seemed to help.

any ideas?

Risa

Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

I'm having a similar problem. In 3d views, some of my windows appear to be solid grey and some appear to be transparent so that the inside of the house can be seen. I've hunted for a way to control this but I haven't found out how. Any ideas?

You should post a picture of what you are seeing. There are several reasons why your window glass may not appear as you expect.

One reason is that you have changed the material to something other then the default material. The default glass material is setup to have the correct transparency and generally give you good results. If you change the glass material to be something else, then that is what you will get even if that material is not transparent or a totally different color.

Another reason you might not be getting the results you expect is if your window is not actually on an exterior wall. Windows on interior walls (or walls the program may think are interior walls) are not always going to work the same. If you are having a problem with some of your windows even though they are exactly the same window with the same materials, this may indicate that your rooms are not well defined.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principle Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

Window transparency in 3D vector view

I just tried to attach a picture of what I'm seeing. If I did change the glass material, it was unintentional. I did notice that there are 3 different grey glass materials in the default material list and that one of them has some goofy characters in one of the fields. I've compared all of the fields associated with a transparent window to the fields of a grey window and couldn't find any differences. Do you have any other ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	window 3d problem.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	9178  

Try this:
    Go to 3D>3D Settings... and uncheck "Opaque Glass from Outside"
    Windows are opaque by default in vector view.

Don't know why some windows are transparent but as Dermot said
    maybe the program thinks these windows are on an interior wall.
    Doug S.

HD Pro 9 (Build 9.6.1.1)
    Sketchup 7
    Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

The option to have opaque or clear glass in vector views (only available in HD Pro), should affect all windows the same. I could see where the program might get confused with the windows on the deck if your rooms were not defined well, but then I would expect all of the deck windows to have the problem but not the other ones.

You should check your window materials again. Open up the specification dialog for a window that works and a window that doesn't. I am guessing that one of them is set to the default material and the other is not. The one that is set to the default should say "Default: Glass Grey" and if the other one is not set to default it would just list the material name. Even if they are using the same material name, if one is using the default and the other is not, they could behave differently.

If your materials are both set to default, then I am out of ideas and I would recommend contacting tech support.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principle Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com