UnHappy "Display driver stopped responding..."

I am encountering a problem - HD Pro CRASHES when it attempts to render final view. The message I am receiving is:
    "Display driver stopped responding. Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Then it just freezes and I have to exit the program and restart with the same results. This is driving me insane!

Any solutions before I call Tech Support?

Unfortunately, I think the solution is to buy a new, more powerful graphics card for your computer.

But maybe not. Try tech support first.
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 X5 X4 X3 X2 -- Thea Render
    www.castleview3d.com
    Email: kathleen.moore@castleview3d.com
    Blog: "Life Should Be 3D"
    Follow CastleView 3D on Facebook or Houzz

Just how often is the driver supposed to be updated? This computer is only two weeks old!

Are you by chance running Vista? Apparently, this is a common problem with NVIDIA cards- do a Google search for "nvlddmkm" and you'll get dozens of hits as well as suggestions of how to fix it.

The computer may be only two weeks old, in terms of when you bought it, but how long has it been sitting at the box in the store? Who knows when those drivers were originally loaded onto the machine. Especially since Windows Vista is a new operating system and the video card manufacturers have been trying to play catch up with all of the changes, you'll likely need to update those video card drivers. If you're still confused on the process, check out this eHow site on How to Update Drivers for a Video Card.
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Cris - I am using Vista. Thing is, as recently as Tuesday of this week I was able to save and export to a client about 12 final views of the work I was doing for her with no difficulties at all. As a matter of fact, final view was rendering so quickly, I almost questioned whether or not I was getting a final view but was persuaded when I saw a definite smoothing out.

Katalyst - I would tend to agree with you if I was having this problem from the onset, but like I said - it was working fine til yesterday. And also, subsequent to purchasing my laptop I have downloaded upgrades. Thanx for the input. I'll try downloading again.

Did you do a Google search like cris recommended? It looks like you may need to turn off something called Desktop Composition.
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Kat - Where or how do I find that? I recently spoke with tech support and I was told to try disabling Desktop Composition, but when I was walked thru' it, "Compatibility" wasn't showing up when I right-clicked "Start" and went into "Properties". I don't know if my set up is different - I have Vista Home Premium. I am also in the process of doing the search recommended by Cris.
    Last edited by bgrant; 08-14-2007 at 06:13 PM.

If I read the other forum correctly, you don't right click on the start option, you right click on your Home Designer icon, then click Properties, and under the Compatibility uncheck desktop composition. (Anyone with Vista on their computer verify to see if this is correct?)
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

I disabled Desktop Composition and the probem still persists. I also did the Google Search and their name is "legion" (ie. thousands) who are getting the exact same (over emphasis intended) message with their usage of Vista and Nvidia. Most of the solutions and recommendations are confusing to me. Some have reverted to XP to avoid the problem but it seems that all of them are gamers.

It appears that I am the only PRO/VISTA user experiencing this .... yes?

I would think the similarity may be in that both Pro and many games make use of OpenGL.

I LOVE IT WHEN A PROBLEM GETS SOLVED!
    I'm finally back to being able to render 'final views' on my laptop without crashing. Seems the problem was that the fan on my laptop COOLER was OFF (all the time I thought it was on) and the video card was probably getting too hot whenever I tried to render. This was one of the possibilities put forth by NVIDIA/VISTA users in my Google search who were receiving the same error message that I was.
    In my final 3D renderings I'm now seeing shadows and realistic textures and triangles of light and .... YEA ME!!!
    BERNADETTE GRANT
    Legal Assistant by Day - Designer by Nite
    HD Pro 7.08b
    Divorced from VISTA ... Happily Reunited with XP

[B]***APPLAUSE !!![/B]

Me too! I love to see things gets fixed..like when ya' win!
    BH&G Pro Rev. 7.08
    Central SW Ontario, Canada
    -AMD AthlonX2 4400, 2GB, Win XP Pro
    -GeForce 8600GT
    -80GB Internal, 1TB External HDD

I built a house using this and am still find it Mickey Mouse quality.

You really can't beat the feelin'!
    BERNADETTE GRANT
    Legal Assistant by Day - Designer by Nite
    HD Pro 7.08b
    Divorced from VISTA ... Happily Reunited with XP

I tell my guys, at work, the same thing. The bigger the problem, the bigger the victory....as long as you win in the end.
    BH&G Pro Rev. 7.08
    Central SW Ontario, Canada
    -AMD AthlonX2 4400, 2GB, Win XP Pro
    -GeForce 8600GT
    -80GB Internal, 1TB External HDD

I built a house using this and am still find it Mickey Mouse quality.