Backdrops & Airborne Houses

I would love to look at my house renditions without it floating in the air. You got to admit it does look silly.

If I were to resize the backdrop pics would that make a diff on how the thing looked?

I noticed the the default backdrops are mostly 1280x980. I am thinking about reduction.

Or is there a way to get the Airborne house to drop to the edge of the backdrop so that it appears to a contineous piece of property?

FYI - terrain height is 36 inches. Would the house with terrain have to lowered to -36 in order to obtain a more realist view?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backdrop and floating house.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	2075  
    Home Designer Pro 10

Smile

Hi Diedre,
    First of all I, my home floats if I take a render view while on level zero (basement) even though the basement is ground level on the back side of the home (see attachments). Second, the ground in front of my house (level 1) is set to -36 in order for it to line up with the main floor's height level of zero. I suggest you play with the terrain level heights around your home until it comes up to the bottom of your house (with the render view taken while the main floor, level 1). Good Luck.
    Phil

Name:	10th Plan, West view.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	2076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10th Plan, Northeast view.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	2077  

Here is a picture of my home when I take a render view while on level zero (the basement).
    Phil

Name:	Floating house.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	2079  

Got some bad news for you; the render view I posted - it is from the main ground level.

The question is can you adjust the backdrop so that in render view it appears that you are sitting on a level piece of ground.

Just wanted to know if any one has ever played around enough with the background pics to do a neater transition.
    Home Designer Pro 10

It works better if you have a large enough terrain perimeter that blends in with your scenery (I don't see any in yours) to take away the floating look. You then may need to manipulate the photo a bit to get the scenery as desired- in yours, you may have to add some space below the trees.
    Cris Waller
    HD Pro 7.08

Are you stating that if I increase the LOT size to a few acreas, i.e 3-5 acreas, the terrain MIGHT level itself out to be in more in alignment with the backdrop picture?

And if I had to add "space below tree line" how do you do that, please?
    Home Designer Pro 10

Hi Dee,

I have only played around with backdrops a little bit, but what I've found is that for an image to work well as a backdrop, the horizon line needs to be near the center of the photo, or a little below center.

So maybe what Chris is suggesting is that you adjust your photo in photoshop or paint so that the treeline, or at least the ground level line, is closer to the center of the photo. In this photo, your horizon line is not even IN the photo!! You would need to add extra space at the bottom (use a dark color to blend in with the trees) to raise the horizon line to the proper level.

It also looks to me like the render view you posted was taken with the camera almost even with the ground level. Since I'm 5'4", renders tend to look "best" to me if I set the camera height to 64" above ground -- about my eye level.

One more thing: the higher you position your camera above the house, the lower the house will look in relation to the backdrop (so it will look more like it's anchored to the ground).
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 X5 X4 X3 X2 -- Thea Render
    www.castleview3d.com
    Email: kathleen.moore@castleview3d.com
    Blog: "Life Should Be 3D"
    Follow CastleView 3D on Facebook or Houzz

Yes, what she said!
    Cris Waller
    HD Pro 7.08

I am by no means an expert on this.
    You need to move your camera and or the house not the back ground.
    I took a picture of my back yard(not the one posted now) to put my house on.
    Took SEVERAL tries at getting it the right size by cropping it in another program..

Different cameras work different and have access to different tools.

Name:	3d.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	2085  
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/