Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foundation HELP

Foundation HELP

Attached is a view of the project that I am working on now.

I have set my foundation to be at 36".
    I have already set my terrain elevation to where I need it.

The question is: with a sunken sunroom at -14, is there a way that I can bring just that portion of the buildings foundation up to be in alignment with the remainder of the building?

Dee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foundation - 14 inches.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	2054  
    Home Designer Pro 10

I don't think I understand the question. If the sunroom floor is -14, how can its foundation be level with the rest? Doesn't it have to be -14?
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 X5 X4 X3 X2 -- Thea Render
    www.castleview3d.com
    Email: kathleen.moore@castleview3d.com
    Blog: "Life Should Be 3D"
    Follow CastleView 3D on Facebook or Houzz

In normal conditions, yes the foundation is at -14; I was just curious as to IF there is a possible way of getting the sunroom's exterior of the foundation to appear as though it is in alignment with the rest of the foundation, so that you can not tell from the outside that the sunroom is sunken. I guess you could say that I want a cosmetic coverup for the sunken room.

It's nothing to stress about, I don't think we can do it in HDPro, I just wanted to see if anyone has done it before.

Right now I am fighting with the program to let me have a roof over the screened in porch off the kitchen. It wants to give me walls all the way to the second floor. Watch out HDPro, I am out to get you because Kilgore gave me instructions once before.
    Home Designer Pro 10

I think this is what would be called a pony wall. The bottom 14" would be the same as your foundation, and the top 83 1/8" or whatever would be your usual siding. Just a guess -- I haven't actually done this.

I don't know about your porch problem. Sounds like you might have to resort to.... [ music from Jaws... ] manual roof planes!!
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 X5 X4 X3 X2 -- Thea Render
    www.castleview3d.com
    Email: kathleen.moore@castleview3d.com
    Blog: "Life Should Be 3D"
    Follow CastleView 3D on Facebook or Houzz

Now that is one suggestion that I never thought off, only because I have never played with pony walls, and from what I have been reading, they scare the living daylights out of me. But since this is only a trial and error house, using every little piece of advice obtained from this forum, tutorials, and the BHG Database, I guess it would hurt to see what results I would get by using a ponywall.
    Home Designer Pro 10

You go girl! (Do they still say that anymore?)
    BERNADETTE GRANT
    Legal Assistant by Day - Designer by Nite
    HD Pro 7.08b
    Divorced from VISTA ... Happily Reunited with XP

Gotta funny for you: made a grammatical error in statement, should of read would not hurt, instead of would hurt. But, I am beginning to think the grammer mistake was not a mistake.

Well of to take the plunge. Can't get to sleep before 2AM anyhow, so just as well keep on plugging away.

9PM and it is 89 degrees inland San Diego County. Coastal areas are at 78 degrees.
    Home Designer Pro 10

Dee, just to let you in on a little secret before I go off to bed (it being 17 minutes after the betwitching hour here). There's a button at the bottom of your post with the word 'edit'. I've found it to be my best friend when I make booboos! Chances are if you use it, no-one will even know what it is that you have 'covered up'. It wants to be your friend, too!

G'night all!
    BERNADETTE GRANT
    Legal Assistant by Day - Designer by Nite
    HD Pro 7.08b
    Divorced from VISTA ... Happily Reunited with XP

Dee
    What do you have for a floor?cement or wood.
    Pony walls would be best or you can try naming it a garage and rebuild the foundation..
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

There is no "flooring" under the house. It is just a foundation wall. You guys are providing wonderful suggestions, but, don't get off track as to the original question.

Can foundation walls be fudged upwards to be in alignment with the rest of the homes foundation wall in order to give the building an eye appealing appearance from the street view.

It is beginning to look like the answer is "no". And that is okay; the main point of the forum is to seek advice and answers. It never hurts to ask after scrounging the Help database, and going through the Q&A on both ChiefTalk and HomeTalk.
    Home Designer Pro 10

Dee
    Yes it can very easy..
    Is it getting built like a garage with the slab for the floor?
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:

No, it's open, you know, just a little old foundation to hold the house up off the ground, no garage, no storage, no basement, no nothing. Just a plain old foundation that I want to have 36 inches above ground level (in case it floods in San Diego - ha-ha).
    Home Designer Pro 10

Pony walls set as foundation one the first floor and dragged to height in elevation view.
    Delete the foundation under that room first..
    This was done in Pro..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dee.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	2060   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dee 2.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	2061  
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:

Great, now that is what we have been discussing. Now, teacher, teach me. Please provide step-by-step instructions on how you did this.

Just keep in mind that I already have a whole lot of detailing in the front portion of the home in question - window, doors, and fireplace on the front exterior wall; plus railing dividing the raised living room from the sunken sunroom. I hate houses that don't have a barrier between the sunken area and the main level; afraid someone would fall off the edge.

I can see it, but I don't know where you started.
    Home Designer Pro 10

Delete the foundation walls.
    Set your pony walls to the wall types you want..(You can also set the height in defaults)
    Back to floor 1
    Click on the walls to select them and check=pony wall.and foundation.
    Then in elevation drag the heights you want..
    If it gets screwed up just close the plan without saving..
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for: