Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gable roof

Gable roof

Hi experts

I am using Home designer Deluxe and have a an H shape design house and want to place a gable roof across the body of the H with gable roofs joining from the top left of the H,bottom left of the H and top and bottom right of the H.
    Creating 8 valleys.

I seem to be unable to create this roof style any assistance in creating this would be appreciated.

David

Hi David
    Can you post a picture of the floor plan?
    To early yet,but my brain might kick in..
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Is this what you're trying to accomplish?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H roof.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	2058  
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 X5 X4 X3 X2 -- Thea Render
    www.castleview3d.com
    Email: kathleen.moore@castleview3d.com
    Blog: "Life Should Be 3D"
    Follow CastleView 3D on Facebook or Houzz

Hi Allen
    I would if I could but it wont attach as the jpeg file is 516 and the limit is 200...I have tried 10 times and as a bmp file as well..must be a way..........

Kathleen,silly that's an I..
    Think she has it David..
    Welcome to the forum..
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:

Kathleen ...yes exactly so how do I do it ? Fabulous

I also would like to put a large triangular panel in the walls of the gable. I cannot find a triangle glass in the selection only vents ? help x 2
    thanks

For each of the end walls where you want a gable, select the wall and in the dbx check Full Gable Wall.

To place the gables in the middle sections, use the Wall Break tool to place breaks in the long walls where you want the gables to sit (making sure that the two wall sections are the same length and perfectly aligned with each other). Then select each of those wall sections and make it a Full Gable Wall. Then build your roof.

If you did it correctly, the roof will come out right. If you didn't do it correctly, you'll have a screwy looking roof and you'll need to go back to the step about making sure the wall sections are perfectly aligned!

I can't help you with that glass panel question, though. You mean a panel like a window?
    Kathleen Moore
    www.castleview3d.com

thanks Kathleen...will have a go
    yes a panle like a window !

David,

Unfortunately I don't think you can do it in your version. In Pro you can just shape a fixed glass panel window into a triangle, or rhombus, or whatever shape you want pretty much. Can you adjust the shape of the windows in your version?
    Kathleen Moore
    www.castleview3d.com

You can do it in Suite by going into the attic and changing the gable wall material to glass. Unless you want all your gables to be glass, change the wall type to something different (a type you are not using) first. You can then use soffits to put in muntins, if you want them.
    Cris Waller
    HD Pro 7.08

Quote Originally Posted by David P
    Hi Allen
    I would if I could but it wont attach as the jpeg file is 516 and the limit is 200...I have tried 10 times and as a bmp file as well..must be a way..........

You need to get the screen image saved onto your computer (I set up a file folder for this purpose); open up Paint, select the folder where you saved the screen image, reduce image size from paint and then save it again. Go to folder where you are keeping the image, scroll your mouse over it to check it's size, and if the size is =< than the allocated amount (it's only 100 in HomeTalk), then you can go back to Q&A manage attachments to upload your file.

Does that help? BTW the Manage Attachments is right under this screen shot, below the Post Icons, and below the Submit Reply.

Dee
    Home Designer Pro 10

H plan Gable

Quote Originally Posted by dr0591
    For each of the end walls where you want a gable, select the wall and in the dbx check Full Gable Wall.

To place the gables in the middle sections, use the Wall Break tool to place breaks in the long walls where you want the gables to sit (making sure that the two wall sections are the same length and perfectly aligned with each other). Then select each of those wall sections and make it a Full Gable Wall. Then build your roof.

If you did it correctly, the roof will come out right. If you didn't do it correctly, you'll have a screwy looking roof and you'll need to go back to the step about making sure the wall sections are perfectly aligned! ;)

I can't help you with that glass panel question, though. You mean a panel like a window?
    Kathleen somehow the gable did not work ! Sorry for the time lag. Did manage to attach the floor plan at least
    We followed your instructions with the wall break
    We need it across the middle section ie the bar of the H. with hip roofs running into the gable creating 8 valleys...

HELP

Name:	plan.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	2123  

Quote Originally Posted by Deirdre
    You need to get the screen image saved onto your computer (I set up a file folder for this purpose); open up Paint, select the folder where you saved the screen image, reduce image size from paint and then save it again. Go to folder where you are keeping the image, scroll your mouse over it to check it's size, and if the size is =< than the allocated amount (it's only 100 in HomeTalk), then you can go back to Q&A manage attachments to upload your file.

Does that help? BTW the Manage Attachments is right under this screen shot, below the Post Icons, and below the Submit Reply.

Dee
    thanks Deirdre...we were attempting to attach all views ! DUrrrrrrrr what haapenins when you house design after a long day at work !

David, can you attach a floorplan with the roof built, so I can see where it's screwing up, or at least describe what's happening? There's no reason the method I outlined shouldn't work, unless something is amiss with your walls.
    Kathleen Moore
    www.castleview3d.com

Some times it is easier to add or remove walls to get the roof built.
    Extending them here makes it easier to know where to add the wall breaks and name those parts Full gables..
    After the roof is built,fix the walls to the way you want them..

Name:	K1.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	2124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K2.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	2125  
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for: