Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Email with cell number and sample drawn plan (with HD) sent.

I am attaching what I have drawn so far hereto.

For anyone interested, here are some of the things my addled mind is thinking late tonight.

" I have worked tonight to get the rough dimensions in HD. I placed appliances and such to help me with the dimensions. I’m pretty burned out on it right this moment, but, a fair start. It is clear to me, after placing some furniture and appliances I have a long way to go before reaching anything remotely similar to final dimensions, but, like I said, a start.

I don’t know if you can see HD files, but, on the chance you can, I’m sending one of my renditions.

Debbie and I both like lots of room and an open design. As you can see, the outdoors is the major attraction of the area, but, the home should in some way measure up to the environment. I suspect I will pass from this world before my wife and she may wish to sell and move into town. She is a “city” girl at heart. Even if she decides she likes the country living, I doubt our children (currently 22 year old son and 21 year old daughter) will ever move out there, so, there needs to be a home suitable for selling on the 70 acre farm with 1.6 acre pond in front of it.

I figure square footage (heated) between 2,500 and 3,250. Of course, we can and probably will add some of that square footage with an upstairs as it generally is cheaper to build out BUT with the cathedral ceilings in the master bedroom and great room, the design doesn’t really make bonus rooms upstairs seem so easy.

The cathedral ceilings in the BR and Great room are important to us so we want to keep those. I realize that design is a give and take and that money matters a lot. My father (deceased), my brother and cousin most often lose money when they tried to satisfy new owners with change orders who really didn’t want to pay for the changes in the end. I also believe with the expansion of the square footage, I want to keep in mind standard lumber lengths so as to minimize waste. In the simplest of explanations, if you look at a 4’ x 8’ sheet of plywood and my design calls for using only 6’ of the length, I am throwing away 8 square feet for each sheet of plywood not to mention the labor involved in the special cut and the cost of landfill space.

Quite frankly, all that boggles my mind."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample drawn floorplan.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	2068  

If you want to use the exact floor plan you should buy it.It is stealing if you don't.
    If your going to design it mostly yourself I recommend getting Pro 7.
    Think you said you were using home 6..
    If you get Pro 7 someone with Chief 10 could work on it for the permit drawings and you can still edit it with Pro.
    It will help with decorating to.
    Don't worry to much with plywood.It is the joist and rafters that will determine it more.
    Round off to full numbers by 2'..
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

I agree Allen.

I purchased HD Pro tonight and have been working more on the re-design. I think I'll be reading some more. I have been playing with some of the sample editable plans. Looks like to me it is going to be a bit of a learning curve in building the roof and ceilings (among many other things).

You mentioned expanding or decreasing in denominations of 24". Back in the 70s through early 80s when I was helping Granddaddy and Daddy in the building, I remember we always did pretty much everything on 16" centers. I know a lot of residential builders use 24" centers. I didn't get a chance to call my family to see what the current standard is. I'm reasonably certain I may go with 6" exterior walls as opposed to 4", but, still not sure. I suspect we will go with the foam insulation as opposed to the batten insulation. I am also researching the more modern geothermal heat pumps since we have plenty of land to work with.

As I get a little more into the design and layout, if you guys don't mind, I'll come back with more intelligent questions.

Thanks for all your help.

Joel

Hi Joel
    Yes on the 16" OC.I was thinking the length of 2x lumber coming in 2' increments.
    8' 10' 12' 14' and so on.
    If your going with I-JOIST more flexibility because the extra is figured for another place.
    As a framer I like 2x6 walls because you can get longer plate stock,
    Keeps the walls straighter with less joints in the top plate.

Your garage should be 24' wide for 9' wide doors.
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:

Thanks Allen. I'll be working on the design more this weekend. Have a wonderful weekend.

Your welcome
    You have a good one to..
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for: