Thread: Measurements

Threaded View

Nail-on-the-head, Space wise.

The points made here are interesting and valuable. I have tried to maintain rooms that would permit 14' joists as a maximum. Others have said that the difference in 8' and 9' ceilings would not make a considerable difference in cost. I found in researching heating costs that a squarer design provides the most efficiency, but with all of the windows I think the gain is modest.

I have taken advantage of my son's insight who, as a P.E., structural engineer, and home design consultant, has not found any serious design blunders. He will have his drafters convert my plan to the drawing set a builder typically requires and recommend cost savings.

A relatively constant steep hillside of about 18% has presented a lot of challenges and opportunity. I only have one foundation wall below grade. Terrain retaining walls could be an issue and i was told to keep them at/under 4' to avoid site engineering for the county.

I Googled extensively for a "modular" builder in the Seattle area who could take my systematic, easily compartmented plan and divide it so it could be "factory" built, but most turned out to be manufactured homes builders and weren't ready to do custom plans.

I have decided instead to go with a panelized concept, (Armstrong Builders, Auburn WA) but not necessarily SIPs (Premier). I too have a year to go so I am hopeful I can get all of the wrinkles out ahead of time.

Comments appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hillside59G_inTrees2.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	194.6 KB 
ID:	2212   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Main_Floor.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	2213   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lower_Floor.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	2214