Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Railing wall causes gable wall roof projections

I am having a problem with the gable wall projecting out of the roof. I think my problem has to do with the railing wall extending into the main wall. Please help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prob1.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	2454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prob2.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	2456  
    John Truchan
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a

Hi John
    If you do not want a roof over the deck,name the room=deck..Or uncheck roof/ceiling over this room..
    That's if you built it auto..
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

By any chance is your deck railing protruding past the exterior wall that it should be connected to?

Try pulling back on the deck railing and realign with exterior wall corner to see if this will clear up your problem.

On the other hand; if you are wanting the railing to project beyond, like an extension on the other exterior wall, as if you were going around the corner of the building, then it is suggested that you add an additonal railing piece at that point.
    Home Designer Pro 10

Thankx

Thank you for thr replies. I do want the thr roof and cieling over the deck. The railing wall extends itself into the exterior wall on its own. I do not know how to prevent this issue. I tried building to the outer surface in the wall definition but it did not work.
    John Truchan
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a

I can not really see the problem with the pictures you posted.
    Try F12
    Or do an elevation view and adjust the wall..
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:

Would you mind posting one more picture - this one looking from the right angle of the deck?

Would like to look at the object in question to see how much of a protusion you have created for the building.

Your original pics are from the left side of deck.
    Home Designer Pro 10

More pictures

Thankx again for the help. The first picture showd the gable wall for the deck protruding through the roof. The second picture shows the railing projecting beyond the exterior wall of the house. The third picture shows when the railing wall is selected a second wall appears with the movement handles on it. This second wall image protudes into the house exterior wall even though the actual railing wall above ends at the outside of the exterior wall. The wall image used to size the wall snaps to the center of the exterior wall everytime I try to retract the railing wall then reattach it to the extrior house wall but, the sizing image always snaps to the center of the exterior wall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prob3.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	2457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prob4.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	2458   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prob5.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	2459  
    John Truchan
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a

Thanks for posting the additional pics and a view of your plan.

Oh my, I have not seen anything like that before (your plan view). IF you had only included the pics I would of said wall height problems. I would have sent you off to each room to look at the ceiling height. Only because I often forget to change my ceiling heights for closets.

But your plan pic protrays a different story.

Please post the plan as Allen requested; he is really good at what he does.
    Home Designer Pro 10

Thanks Dee
    If I could only figure what I do..
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:

My plan is almost 1.2 MB. It will only ZIP down to 275KB. The file size limit is 100 KB. Is there any other program other than WINZIP that can make the zipped file smaller??
    John Truchan
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a

Would have sent you a private message, but your profile is not set up to receive PMs.

If you were to click on Allen or my name you would see that we both have access to the PM.

You may need to go back and edit your profile. PMs are places where we might advise you of an email address for you to send your zipped file.
    Home Designer Pro 10

I have had similar things happen to me...where the wall keeps snapping back no matter how hard you try to move it. Usually, if I persist, it gives up and I win.

I believe that this is an anomoly of the software...much like when you shut down your computer incorrectly and little bit & bites attach themselves where they don't belong and strange things start to happen.

Have you tried removing the deck so that you base plan is clean...saving that file again, and re-installing the deck?

Often a removal and a new, clean install will let you manipulate walls that were being difficult to move for no aparent reason.
    Although simpe at first glance, these software packages are actually fairly complicated as to what & how they do their job, so strange things can happen depending on the combination/order of key strokes you may have come up with. You can test software for years and not come up with all of the possible kestroke combinations and the results they may bring.
    Joel Nuss
    HD 7.09

Joel,

Leave it to you to come up with the obviously "simple" solutions; while Allen and I were too busy looking at the technical solution.

Gee, that is what I get for getting up at 3AM.

Dee
    Home Designer Pro 10

PM enabled

OK I have PM enabled. Please send me a email address to send my plan. Thank You
    John Truchan
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a

I sent an email,did you get it?
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for: