A-Frame (Mountain Cabin)

I'm a new user to Home Designer and it appears that I'm in over my head. I'm trying to remodel my A Frame Cabin (steep pitch 21' veritical to 34' horizontal) and I'm trying to start with the current design and do some add-ons to suit what we want to do. The only vertical exterior walls are on the front and back of the cabin and the roof joists attach directly to the foundation on two sides (not on the sides of the exterior walls). Further complicating the issue is that on west side the roof joists only attach to the foundation and on the other side (east) the intercept of the first floor joists (running east and west) and the roof joists attach to the foundation, in other words, on the west side, the floor joists attach to the roof joists and then the roof joists extend another 4' before they are attached to the foundation. The foundation does not extend around the entire perimeter of the first floor, only on the east and west of the building.

It appears that the program is not going to let me try to override the auto design feature. Is there a way that I can perform a manual design without going through all of the auto design features of the program?

Help!

dfry

Which version of the program do you have? Is it just the base Home Designer? I am not sure if that can handle this project, although I think Pro could.
    Cris Waller
    HD Pro 7.08

Try setting the room name on the first floor to attic then build the roof.

See: http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...?faqNumber=452
    Dan Park
    Customer Support Manager
    Chief Architect, Inc

Is it anything like this? (done in Deluxe 7)

DJP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aframe.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	2615  

Sorry for the delay in responding. Your view is exactly what I have. I'm using Home Designer Suite Version 7.0. I assume that the version you used is different.

The steps in Deluxe are the same as Suite. Just lable the room as attic before you build the roof.
    Dan Park
    Customer Support Manager
    Chief Architect, Inc