Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Got my first "Job"

Thank you to all of you for your advice and assistance. I can officially say that I make money doing this! I did a waiting room rework for free for my chiropractor's office to show him what the program could do. I did a really quick maybe 1/2 hour job and sent him pictures. Did it for free to hopefully drum up some business as he mentioned that he was going to completely remodel the whole office.

After he got the pics asked when I could come in to do the rest of the office. Now....hmmm....how much am I supposed to charge for this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Current Waiting Area.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	2883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Proposed Traffic Flow Change.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	2884   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skraitz waiting, moved door.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	2885  
    Jodi
    Home Designer Pro 2012
    Home Designer Pro 7.0
    Home Designer Deluxe

Thumbs up

Congratulations!

I wish I knew the answer. You could call a few design firms or check the internet and find out what fees they charge. Then charge based on your research and your experience. You don't want to short-sell yourself, but you also don't want to over price your self out of repeat business.

Good luck.

Here is the link to the Bureau of Labor wage information.

http://www.bls.gov/bls/blswage.htm
    Home Designer Pro 10

Awesome Info...Again.

Thanks. That puts me right where I want to be and I was right on the money with what I told him I wanted. Thank you so very much. I appreciated your help and support so very much.
    Jodi
    Home Designer Pro 2012
    Home Designer Pro 7.0
    Home Designer Deluxe

What city?

I'm in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, PA. So it's not overly rural but it's definitely not city either. Suburbia.

The nice part is tho...is that I live not too far from said Chiropractor and he lives in a neighborhood where the houses start at 850,000, median about 1.25 million....and he is the head of the home owners association, so he knows all of them. Hopefully I'll get some word of mouth advertising from it as well.

I'm sooo excited. I'm going to have to use an old fashioned ruler on this one though. Although the layout is pretty straight line so it only took 10 minutes to put it into the program, my guestimates that is. I'll go back and rework once I get the real measurements. But anyway, my hubby was really not so happy about the $250 upgrade to Pro because it was just a hobby until now, so maybe once I get paid I'll have to work that one out. How does it work? Is that like the kind that the real estate agents use? Where do you buy it?
    Jodi
    Home Designer Pro 2012
    Home Designer Pro 7.0
    Home Designer Deluxe

Congrats!
    awrosa HD Architectural 2014
    Windows 7

Well since you asked Jodi personal questions you better watch out. The next thing you know you will be getting a post from Jodi that says "No one is going to track me down and kill me now are they?" After all, you did ask for the city and state in which she lives.
    Hmmmm, you were the first guy to reply to her thread. Interesting!

Just wait, you will probably get asked, "How do I know that you are not an axe murder looking for your next victim?"

Regards,
    Last edited by daydreamer; 11-27-2007 at 03:50 PM.

I don't think Jodi' security should be treated as a joke. If you have been around the Internet for a while you should know that security can be a big deal.

I was once telephoned, from half way across the continent from a person with a gun telling me he was coming to get me (thought I was with his wife??) and, in another incident, through a legal battle that lasted over a year and a half due to some loose verbage on line. The result could have been disasterous and resulted in an up to 5 year prison sentence, should it have gone bad.

Don't take it so lightly or ridicule her preferences for it.
    BH&G Pro Rev. 7.08
    Central SW Ontario, Canada
    -AMD AthlonX2 4400, 2GB, Win XP Pro
    -GeForce 8600GT
    -80GB Internal, 1TB External HDD

I built a house using this and am still find it Mickey Mouse quality.

Jodi, that's fantastic!! Congratulations! I knew you would take off with this. And that's definitely the market you want to be in. Keep us posted on your progress.
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 X5 X4 X3 X2 -- Thea Render
    www.castleview3d.com
    Email: kathleen.moore@castleview3d.com
    Blog: "Life Should Be 3D"
    Follow CastleView 3D on Facebook or Houzz

Congrats Jodi! Keep us posted with some real updates as the work progresses.

BTW-don't be afraid to ask the Doc to recommend you. And, if you get a chance, do some nice "glossy" posters of the finished product to "tout" your work to as many as possible. Also, get an invitation from the Doc to attend any or all of the HO association meetings to get acquainted with the members, (if you can)
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7
    Picture Painter Home & Landscape

Nashville-TN

“ The nicest thing about the future is that it always starts tomorrow”

Congratulations, Jodi! Not only am I'm excited for you... but you are a precursor for the rest of us.

Can you give some details on what you accomplished for the Doctor? What did you have to work/start with? Did you rearrange seating layout; suggested new or different furniture, suggested new wall colour, etc?
    BERNADETTE GRANT
    Legal Assistant by Day - Designer by Nite
    HD Pro 7.08b
    Divorced from VISTA ... Happily Reunited with XP

Doc

What I did was measure his waiting room and told him that I would work up something quick to show him what the program and I were capable. I sent him the three pictures above (see first post) via email. I offered this for free but told him if he liked it then I would charge him a discounted rate of $25.00 per hour to do the rest of the office. I know this is a little lower than what I would charge later but it got me in the door to where I want to be, sort of like a loss leader. And it was so cheap to him, how could he say no? So far I only have an hour of work in, but I'm sure that it will add up over time. I don't have a full time job so I have the luxury of offering such deals. But when I looked up what a designer/drafter makes in the area that is the median rate. So I'm not so off base. I would rather work 8 hours a day with steady work which will net me a steady reliable income rather than erratic work making a mint for the short term and less in the long run. Slow and steady wins the race.
    Jodi
    Home Designer Pro 2012
    Home Designer Pro 7.0
    Home Designer Deluxe

Hi Jodi
    Great for you..
    Think about sneaking your name in the pictures..
    Maybe some art work that has your name on it..
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Yet another great idea!

What did I do without this forum? I know I get a lot less done as of recently. Thanks!
    Jodi
    Home Designer Pro 2012
    Home Designer Pro 7.0
    Home Designer Deluxe

It is addictive..
    How about a picture of the rendering inside the rendering?
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/