Hybrid View

Question Default for Automatic Exterior Dimensions

Does anyone know if there is a way to change how Home Designer Suite 6.0 calculates Automatic Exterior Dimensions?

The Suite 6.0 default appears to measure from the most outer surface to the most outer surface. Therefore, when using the wall type of Siding-6 the exterior dimensions are from the outer surface of the siding to the outer surface of the siding. This results in a total loss of 2 3/4” of interior width. (3/4” siding + 5/8” exterior sheathing + 5/8” exterior sheathing + 3/4” siding = 2 3/4”)

I would like to be able to have the Automatic Exterior Dimensions calculated from the outer surface of the framing material. For example, when using the wall type of Siding-6, I would like to have the exterior dimensions calculate from the outer surface of the 2x6 to the outer surface of 2x6.

Thanks

As far as I can tell, you can only dimension to the outer surface, inner surface, or the wall center. Initially, the automatic exterior dimensions will go the the outer surface. If you want them to go to the wall center or the inner surface, you must click on it and move the endpoint.

I think only the pro version will let you dimension to everything else.

I just bought Pro and having been going through the tutorials. I had not noticed that the exterior automatic dimensions go to the outside surface of the exterior sheathing, as this post indicates, but they do indeed.

On Pro at least, this can be changed by going to Edit/Default Settings/Dimension Defaults/Locate Objects/Walls and clicking on Main Layer Surfaces. The automatic exterior dimensions now reference the outer edge of the framing.

When I did this on the plan that I am working with, the rather odd (I thought) dimensions that the tutorial requires you to enter in order to locate one of the windows (2'-7 3/8") immediately changed to something that made framing sense (2'-6").

If anyone knows a reason that it is preferable to design using the sheathing-included exterior dimensions instead of the framing exterior dimensions, I would love to know.
    Last edited by RootFarm; 07-06-2004 at 05:12 AM.