Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

shed roof under gable

not sure if my terminology is right, but how do i create a shed roof under a gable roof (same floor).

i can get a gable over a gable over a box window (that i create), but when i try to use extend slope downard on the box with high shed walls on the sides the upper gable gets pulled down to the shed roof.

any suggestions?
    Home Designer Suite 7.09

Hi Halhome,

I hope this is what you are trying to achieve. (see attached)

Using the second thumbnail as a reference.

Default Roof Pitch is 6 in 12. You can make it whatever you want.

Walls 1, 2, 3, and 5 - Full Gable Wall
    Wall 4 - go into the Wall Specification dialog box and click on the Roof tab. Under the Roof tab you will see Pitch. Change the Pitch from 6 (D) to 3. Click in the box next to Upper Pitch then in the box on the right enter 6. Tab to the next box and enter 100.5 if it's not already there and leave the last box at 0.

Click on wall 6 and using the Break wall tool click at the intersection of walls 3 and 5. Now click on the Wall tool and double-click on wall #6. Change it to "Invisible".

Good luck and Happy Holidays!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	349 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	3306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	330 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	3307  
    Last edited by daydreamer; 12-19-2007 at 06:22 PM.

Hi Hal,

I got to thinking about your post. Wasn't sure if you wanted the box under the gable plane or the "gable end". Attached is the box window under the Gable End.

This required making the manual roof over the box window. I don't know if your version has the capability to make a manual roof.

I hope it's the other style.

Name:	box on gable.JPG 
Views:	297 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	3309  

Rick,

Unfortunately it is the second version. Thank you for the replies, though. Maybe I'll upgrade....
    Home Designer Suite 7.09

Hal,

If you can make the house a 1-1/2 or 2 story you can produce the shed roof plane on the gable end without drawing it manually.
    Create a house then make a 2nd floor. Set the ceiling height to anything taller than 24". Return to the first floor and draw your box window then "Build Roof".
    Go to the 2nd floor and change the height to 12". Be sure to turn Auto Rebuild Roof off before you start.
    Last edited by daydreamer; 12-20-2007 at 04:32 AM.

Interesting.. Not that that method isn't one of the many but, why the second floor involvement adding an extra floor to his plan he may not want?

I tried this with one floor but the software won't generate the roof correctly.

I tried this with two floors but the software won't allow a small second floor. It also generated undesirable walls on the second floor after removing themseveral times. These were stubs over top the shed part.

Interestingly enough, I have never, ever had to delete my roof before in two years of using Pro. Today, on this trial I have to delete the roof to even select the second floor. This makes your suggestion impossible as the room on the second floor cannot be selected with a roof built. if I delete the roof, I have to rebuild it after lowering the second floor. Then the roofline recreates with a partial non-gable end, at the shed end, again.
    BH&G Pro Rev. 7.08
    Central SW Ontario, Canada
    -AMD AthlonX2 4400, 2GB, Win XP Pro
    -GeForce 8600GT
    -80GB Internal, 1TB External HDD

I built a house using this and am still find it Mickey Mouse quality.

OK, I have it with one floor. I have exactly what I started with but, somehow, like many other things, magic happened and it works now.

There must be two rooms divided by an invisible wall with the gable wall option turned on. The "no locate" and "room def" must also be off. The little side walls of the shed room must have gable end options enabled.

Now how do I get rid of these "X" s?

This thing is acting totally different today than my house plan ever did???

Name:	Shed test.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	3311   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shed test render.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	3312  
    BH&G Pro Rev. 7.08
    -GeForce 8600GT

I believe the X's are temporary reference points for the software. They'll go away by themselves. Try saving and closing your plan then reopening it, that may scare them off.
    Phil
    HD Pro 8.0
    Windows XP

"Delete Temporary Points" or just hit the delete key when you have nothing else selected.

I don't know what you did Larry but it does work. I didn't think about the "No Locate and No Room Def being turned off. I tried it the way you suggest and I can't get it to work on a single story. (see the thumbnails)

As for the X's you can go into CAD mode and click on the X Point tool then click on the "red X" Delete Temporary Points button on the toolbar. (see last thumbnail)

Thumbnails 4 & 5 are using the method I previously described. After creating a 2nd floor and setting the Ceiling Height to 24" I double-clicked on ther Roof Tool and then clicked on Build Roof Planes. After building the roof I double-clicked in the 2nd floor room and set it to 0.

Name:	larry.JPG 
Views:	274 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	3316   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	larry2.JPG 
Views:	294 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	3317   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xxx.JPG 
Views:	278 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	3318   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture4.JPG 
Views:	286 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	3319   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture5.JPG 
Views:	270 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	3320  

Quote Originally Posted by daydreamer
    I don't know what you did Larry but it does work. I didn't think about the "No Locate and No Room Def being turned off. I tried it the way you suggest and I can't get it to work on a single story. (see the thumbnails)

<sever snippage>
    After building the roof I double-clicked in the 2nd floor room and set it to 0.
    Mine didn't work either for one story until I tried everything in the universe and then some. Then it suddenly worked??????

In order to select the room to set the height (2 story method) I have to turn off the roofs. When I turn them back on it rebuilds and I get what's behind your thumbnails 1 & 2 again.

Trade ya for a night?...LOL
    BH&G Pro Rev. 7.08
    -GeForce 8600GT

Larry, just uncheck Auto Rebuild Roof and leave it unchecked.

I know, that's the same frustration I had last night. Nothing worked for what I thought was a simple problem. Apparently I or we got the same results as the poster.

What roof pitch did you use for the house gable? 8 or 10?

I used the default of 6.

I have tried this 6 ways from Sunday and can not get the correct result on a plain single story plan.
    Last edited by daydreamer; 12-20-2007 at 04:14 PM.

This has confused me for a few posts here. A roof gable doesn't have a slope but is 90 degrees straight up...LOL

I think I used 6/12 default because for the new user steeper would probably out of the ordinary. I tried a 3/12 for the shed roof window bay but found it didn't do the trick.

The problem is I am sure I tried the same combinations before (I don't give up easily but, can be tricked) and it didnt work. **SIGH** Maybe my software is in the wrong time of the m... never mind..LOL
    BH&G Pro Rev. 7.08
    -GeForce 8600GT

Yeah, it has confused the heck outof me. I think I have tried every possible combination (probably with the exception of the right one) to get it, and can't.

Yes 90 degrees to the floor straigt up. I tried the 3/12 also, no cigar.

Larry,

Have you been able to reproduce your results from post #7?

Reproduce? You mean start from scratch and do it again? No. I need my hand held for that one...LOL

I may, too darn curious about it but spent too much time this afternoon.
    BH&G Pro Rev. 7.08
    -GeForce 8600GT