Render Camera Dragging Distance?

When you do a render view, is the only reason you drag the camera a short or long distance before you release the left mouse button is to cause the camera to swing wider when you pivot your view around the room? Per my attachments, it doesn't seem to make any difference in the view if the "tail" is short or long. If that's so, then if the goal is to rotate the camera view as though you were not moving, the shortest tail (drag) is desired. Any comments?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Short View.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	3377   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Long View.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	3378  
    Phil
    HD Pro 8.0
    Windows XP

FYI, if you drag the camera distance too short, the program will not actually make a camera view. I think you have to drag it at least a foot.

The point that you stop dragging is called the "focal point". Some of the camera tools will move the focal point (such as forward, backward, left, and right) and others will keep it fixed (such as orbiting or in and out). Understanding how each camera tool works is the key to being able to move around in a camera view easily. I have found the best way to learn how to use the tools is to tile the camera view and plan view on the screen and watch what happens.

Personally, I like to drag the camera to the center of what ever it is I want to look at. If you stop the camera on the center of an object or even on the center of the house, then when you use any of the "orbit" tools you will rotate around the object you are looking at. Using "in" and "out" will let you look at it closer or farther.