wall color default

I am using HD Suite 7.0. I have chosen the default style and then created all my own defaults and saved it. For interior wall color I have chosen "butter", for exterior "red". I have 2 problems:
    1. When I create a new exterior or interior wall, the color reverts to the original defaults supplied with the software (bare sheetrock, and gray), so I have to select the wall and change it. Am I missing something?
    2. After I change the wall color, if I have a lofted ceiling, the wall triangle above 8 feet is still bare sheetrock. I don't know what it's called or how to change it. I have gone through all the defaults and can't even find the sheetrock it's referring to. I have tried deleting the roof, changing the wall color, and rebuilding the roof. Any ideas?
    thanks, LIla

Lila,

I don't believe there is a way to set a default wall color. (there is a thread that may be helpful to you regarding materials or wallcovering : http://hometalk.homedesignersoftware...ead.php?t=2248

If you have a Vaulted or Gable ceiling plane the area that you are referring to is above the "normal" wall height. To color this area go into the "Attic" and color the wall. Remember to go back to the 1st floor when you are finished.

Happy Holidays
    Last edited by daydreamer; 12-24-2007 at 02:47 PM.

Lila,
    Try selecting an entire room (instead of the walls) by double clicking in the middle of the room, then select the Wall Covering tab. Then select Add New and tell it the color you want, and you want the width to be the full room height with zero floor to bottom.

Merry Christmas
    Phil
    HD Pro 8.0
    Windows XP

I don't think that Suite allows wall coverings but even if it did, I would not recommend using the wall covering to make the whole wall a different material. The wall coverings work well if you only want a portion of the wall to be a different material, like when you want a wall paper border or when you want the top half of a wall to have wall paper and the lower half to be painted. When you don't have the wall covering tool, you can always use a very thin soffit to get the same effect.

To change the material on just one wall, for the whole wall, just open up the wall dialog, go to the material tab, and change either the exterior or interior material. Just keep in mind that walls sometimes go through multiple rooms so if you change the material this way, you may have to use the wall break tool to use separate materials in separate rooms.

As for the defaults, I assume that you tried to change the default wall material by changing it in the "general materials" section of the "default settings". This will only affect the wall materials if you are using the "wood frame 16" oc" type walls. If you use any of the other wall types, the program will not use this default value. Personally, I think this is very confusing.

I have found that the best way to change all of your exterior walls, assuming that you are using one of the other wall types, is to use the rainbow tool (AKA "adjust material definition" tool on the 3D menu) while in a camera view. If you change the wall material this way, you will change it for all walls in your plan, so be warned. If you only want some walls to be one material and others to be another material, then you should use different wall types to distinguish them.

For interior walls, I almost always change the material using the room dialog box or for each wall using the wall dialog box depending on what I want (one wall or the whole room).

Thanks so much, daydreamer, mainer, and kilgore trout--I will practice with all your suggestions! Merry Christmas/happy holidays to you! Lila

Your welcome Lila
    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays