Craftsman style houses?

My husband and I are looking for software to create our dream house. Does Home Designer 7.0 have templates for Craftsman style houses or all they all contemporary styles?
    Any input would be appreciated!

I'm not sure about Home Designer, but I know that both Interior Designer and HD Pro have a nice Craftsman template, so my guess is that Home Designer does also.
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 X5 X4 X3 X2 -- Thea Render
    www.castleview3d.com
    Email: kathleen.moore@castleview3d.com
    Blog: "Life Should Be 3D"
    Follow CastleView 3D on Facebook or Houzz

Styles Plus

Hi!
    If you are looking for a program to design your dream home, the Better Homes and Garden Designer packages are a great choice. Being kind of new to the 'Architect via computer mouse' thing myself sure doesn't make me an expert but... The versatility and ease of operation makes me a believer! Right off the bat, you should let the folks here know what 'Designer 7.0' you are talking about. Is it Suite or Professional? Secondly, I'm not sure what a craftsman style house is but when you open the Professional package there are seven templates to start creating from:

American Casual
    Arts & Crafts
    Colonial
    Country Cottage
    Mediterranean Influence
    Today's Traditional
    Urban Chic/Contemporary

It's truly amazing what can be done with these programs and you don't even have to have a geek factor to create some awsome layouts. Here's the really cool part... This web site. It is such a valuable tool for us users. From the newbies (like me) to the really scary smart designers. You'll see them all and they have absolutely no problem sharing what they have learned with you. Just ask a question and see what happens! Try to put a dollar sign on that! So, if you and your husband want to take a crack at the American dream... Your way... In your time... Try out one of the BHG programs and come here when you have a question. It's the closest we can get to a barn raising in the twenty first century. Just plain old people helping their neighbor.
    PS: After reading my posting before sending, I feel compelled to tell you that I do not work for or have any affiliation with the programs I spoke about. Man! I sound like a shill for the company but I'm not. I use it. I love it. Period.
    Jim Bouse
    Suite 7.0
    Pro 7.0
    Windows XP

Hi ejsuthe,

James post #3 pretty much says it all. A template may be of some help to you but having software that has the necessary tools to design the home of your dreams is the most important. And besides, designing your own home will be very gratifying. The aforementioned programs by BH&G allow "you" do design the type of home you want. You will actually be creating the design with the computer software.

Some of the design features applicable to a Craftsman Style (Arts & Crafts) house are:
    Low-pitched roof lines with gabled or hipped roof and deeply overhanging eaves.
    Exposed rafters or decorative Corbels under the eaves
    A front porch beneath extension of main roof
    Tapered, square columns supporting roof
    4-over-1 or 6-over-1 double-hung windows
    Hand-crafted stone or woodwork
    Mixed materials throughout structure

Most of the BH&G products will allow you to create these features.

Read the attached product matrix. See if the software you intend to purchase will be adequate. The more detail you want the more money you will need to spend. Chief Architect has been running a special you may want to contact them before you purchase from a retail source.

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...Deluxe-Pro.pdf

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/rebates/

Whatever you decide to get, just keep coming back.
    Last edited by daydreamer; 01-06-2008 at 05:12 AM.

Thank you all so much. You have been very helpful. This board is great!

Hi ej,

Glad you stopped by. Keep comin' back!

Have a great weekend.